XLR or 1/4" for Output? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR or 1/4" for Output?

I've been using a Yamaha mixer for quite a while for recording sound for stage events. Long story short, I am mounting the mixer into a rack case and there is just not enough space in the rear for standard XLR cables to be plugged into the Main Outs. I ordered some right angle XLR cables which worked perfectly for the left channel. However, the right channel is blocked by the power supply connector. I'm thinking that the only workaround is to use the 1/4" Main Outs with a right angle 1/4" to XLR cable. Is there going to be much of a difference in the quality of the signal going this route? All of the mic inputs are XLR. Up to now, I've only used the RCA line outs, but the new camera has XLR inputs.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rey
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: XLR or 1/4" for Output?

Should be Ok and the same if the 1/4" outputs are balanced TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) type, It is at line level anyway so there will be very little loss if any.

I have two yamaha mixers, they are very good value and sound nice!
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Gary.

I was finding that coming up with a right angle TRS and adapting it to a male XLR was proving expensive. In desperation, I went through all of my XLR cables and found one whose end casing was JUST short enough to squeeze in with some gentle nudging. Hopefully, it will hold up for me.
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Another option: Many right-angle XLR connectors may be rotated to different directions, however it must be taken apart though, and in some cases, re-soldered.

As I recall, on some Mackie's, the Onyx and/or the VLZ, the XLR (line) is +4dB whilst the 1/4" TRS and RCAs are 0dB.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

On att least my Mackie (1642-VLZ Pro) the RCAs are -10dBv nominal.
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

On this model, both the XLR and the phono jacks are +4db.

Rick - Thanks for the suggestion. I took a close look at the connector (in between banging my head on the table), and there does not look to be any way to change the angle.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Trustee

Both my yamaha mixers have XLR and 1/4" TRS jack main outputs at +4db levels, the RCA/phono tape outs are -10db.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Gary, I mispoke in the post above. I meant to say that the XLR and 1/4" mains were both +4db. The Rec Out phono plugs are indeed -10db.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
On att least my Mackie (1642-VLZ Pro) the RCAs are -10dBv nominal.
Same here Steve, the RCA outs on my 1402vlz is around -10dB, but my Onyx 1620's RCAs are much hotter. I discovered this a few years ago feeding a Marantz 660... occasional clipping it's input stage on peaks, which never occurred on the VLZ. and other mixer's 'Tape outputs'. (including a Yamaha MG series mixer) The manual doesn't specify the output of the 'Tape Out' but all the other outputs are "Rated @ +4dBu... and I can see in the PCB schematic, the 'Tape Out ' RCAs are tapped right off the 1/4" balanced Main Output (+) point.
In fact the Onyx manual states: "The TAPE OUT jacks produce an unbalanced signal that is tapped off the MAIN OUTs. Normally, you would connect these to the inputs of a recorder, but you can use them as an extra set of main outputs for feeding another zone, for example"

Unfortunately this has little relevance to the OPs Yamaha. Sorry to get off-track.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio