DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless handheld + lav? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/502734-wireless-handheld-lav.html)

Robert Bobson November 16th, 2011 08:15 AM

wireless handheld + lav?

I'm shopping for a new wireless mic system - and wondering if there are any that let you attach a lav or a handheld? not sure how that would be configured, but I need both types of mics at times - and can't afford two systems.

I found this one - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-SL...29-i1448165.gc - but it seems to be two separate transmitters...

and this one too - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564493-REG/Azden_105ULH_105ULH_105_Series.html
thanks

Paul R Johnson November 16th, 2011 09:52 AM

Re: wireless handheld + lav?

The guitar centre one is an either or selection - in the box you select the version you want.

The other has both, but look at the pricing - $400 for 3 items, sets it firmly in the budget end - and with the spectrum getting more and more congested everywhere in the world, cheap systems rarely are reliable systems.

Good news is that you can always buy an extra component from any of the major dealers, or even pick one up secondhand on ebay - making sure you get the correct band version. So as prices go, something in the popular mid budget range from the major players is in the price you see for the Shure one. Adding a handheld appears more expensive, but not really because you have to buy a pack AND a mic which usually is higher in total.

Steve House November 16th, 2011 09:53 AM

Sennheiser G3 set that includes the plug-on transmitter module as well as the bodypack tansmitter. Plugs onto any dynamic or battery-powered mic to use as a hand-held

Rob Neidig November 16th, 2011 09:54 AM

Robert,

The Shure unit you linked to is a great unit, but maybe not really well-suited for video work. It has a base unit that is usually rack-mounted. You are correct, it has two types of transmitters. There is a body pack that can either use a lavalier mic or a cable for use with an electric guitar or bass and also a handheld mic transmitter. Great for stage work, like I said, maybe not so great for video though you could certainly use it if you don't need to be portable.

I would stay away from Azden. Some have had good results with them, but there are better options.

What you want is something like the Sennheiser G3 units. The "standard" configuration has a lav mic plugged into a body pack transmitter. You can also get a "butt plug" that uses the same bank of frequencies that allows you to plug in any handheld mic. Note that you can get butt plugs that have phantom power (for condenser mics) and those that do not. A nice big step up from the Sennheiser units would be Lectrosonics, so you might check those units out while you're surfing through the B&H site, though I suspect that's not in your budget given the options you were considering.

Sennheiser unit with butt plug - no phantom:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618735-REG/Sennheiser_EW_100_ENG_G3_A_Evolution_G3_100_Series.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Robert Bobson November 16th, 2011 11:35 AM

thanks all - there are more options than I thought!

Jase Tanner November 16th, 2011 11:44 AM

The Azden is a waste of money. I bought one in desperation as nothing else was available (that I could afford). At the time, I thought it would be at least sort of acceptable. It wasn't, far from it.

Don Bloom November 16th, 2011 04:23 PM

Audio Technica 1800 series offers lots of options. This is a dual receiver unit that allows using 2 mics at once into the same receiver. Lots of freqs to choose from. It also offers different configurations. 2 lav paks or 2 plug int xmitters or 1 of each. I use all of the above. Not all 3 at the same time of course but either 2 lavs or 1 lav with the plugin on either my Shure SM63 or Sennheiser E604 or Shure SM58 depending on the purpose.
They also offer a single side receiver unit with either 1 mic pak or 1 plugin xmitter. I've been very very pleased with the unit for the almost 3 years I've had it. I like being able to monitor both sides of the receiver at all times.
However IF you were to go with the AT unit do not use the stock mic (I think it's the AT839). It will pick up sound but frankly the AT899, Countryman B3, Countryman EMW (what I use) or of course the Sanken COS11 will produce far superior sound to the 839 mic. As I said though, it will pickup sound ;-)

John Willett November 17th, 2011 03:15 AM

The Sennheiser ew 300 ENG G3 is what you want.

Pocket transmitter with tie mic. + plug-on transmitter for a hand-held and a receiver with camera mount.

Robert Bobson November 28th, 2011 08:42 AM

I see the Sennheiser Evolution G3 100 Series is available in one of 3 frequency ranges. Is there a "best" range?
also, can both mics be used at the same time? I can't seem to find that mentioned...

Steve House November 28th, 2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bobson (Post 1700071)
I see the Sennheiser Evolution G3 100 Series is available in one of 3 frequency ranges. Is there a "best" range?
also, can both mics be used at the same time? I can't seem to find that mentioned...

The "best" frequency range depends on what other radio users are active in your area on what frequencies. Sennheiser has a "frequency finder" utility on their web site that van help you decide. Or talk to a local professional audio vendor.

You can use either the body-pack transmitter or the plug-on handheld with one receiver but not both at once. Two active mics means the transmitters must be on separate frequencies lest they interfere with each other. Two active transmitters implies two receivers, one for each.

John Willett November 29th, 2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bobson (Post 1700071)

G3 is available in SEVEN frequency ranges: A, G, GB, B, C, D and E.

For the USA use A, G, GB or B - range C is now totally illegal in the US.

If you plan on using radio in both the US and the UK, then make sure you get range GB. Only range GB has the UK Ch.38 frequencies that are now used in the UK for general radiomic. use - everywhere else in the world these frequencies are used for radio astronomy - so, range GB the first 8MHz are Ch.38 for the UK and the rest is fine for the USA and for licensed fixed-site use in the UK.

If you get an ew 100 ENG G3 you can only use one transmitter at a time, unless you buy a scond receiver.

I hope this helps.

Robert Bobson November 29th, 2011 08:40 AM

thanks for all the info!