Need a wireless handheld mic to match my Sony URX-P2. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Need a wireless handheld mic to match my Sony URX-P2.

I have 2 sets of this package: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553681-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_3032_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html
I'd like to get a wireless handheld mic. I know Sony makes this mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570264-REG/Sony_UTX_H2_3032_UTX_H2_Wireless_Handheld_Transmitter.html. From their package deals I see that it is paired with the URX-P2 receiver, so I know they would be compatible. With these wireless systems do the transmitter and receiver have to be designed to work together, or would it be possible to buy from another manufacturer and get it to work with my existing receiver? If so, what are some good alternate options for mics to go with my receiver?

On a side note, I've never fully understood how to operate the Sony UWP-V1 package. Does anyone own this set that could maybe direct me to a video or better written tutorial than the one that comes with it? Thanks.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Need a wireless handheld mic to match my Sony URX-P2.

I just got the UWP-v1 and had it up and running within minutes. What questions do you have? I'll concede the manual isn't very clear about how to set the frequencies. Maybe I can help.

I got the 42/44 version. In my area, the Sennheiser charts showed that channel 43 was vacant, so following the instructions in the manual I set channel 43 on the receiver, then also following the instructions had it scan for the first clear frequency on that channel. Then I powered on the transmitter and, following the instructions in the manual, set that frequency on the transmitter. After that, it's a matter of turning them both on when you want to record. And making sure it's plugged into the cam (or whatever your recording device is).

Sony is famous for its inscrutable manuals.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Need a wireless handheld mic to match my Sony URX-P2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
I have 2 sets of this package: Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package UWP-V1/3032 B&H

I'd like to get a wireless handheld mic. I know Sony makes this mic: Sony UTX-H2 Wireless Handheld Transmitter UTX-H2/3032 B&H Photo. From their package deals I see that it is paired with the URX-P2 receiver, so I know they would be compatible. With these wireless systems do the transmitter and receiver have to be designed to work together, or would it be possible to buy from another manufacturer and get it to work with my existing receiver? If so, what are some good alternate options for mics to go with my receiver?

On a side note, I've never fully understood how to operate the Sony UWP-V1 package. Does anyone own this set that could maybe direct me to a video or better written tutorial than the one that comes with it? Thanks.
You have to have the matching Sony - you cannot (in most cases) use a transmitter from one manufacturer and a receiver from another.

Nowadays they tend to use noise reduction and every manufacturer uses a different one - and sometimes even different ones from the same manufacturer for cheaper and more expensive systems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio