Wireless Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Mics

Howdy all,

I filmed a Seminar this weekend with Rob Paulsen (Pinky, of Pinky and the Brain) and the audio was just terrible with on camera settings. We had hotel employees walking around, doors slamming, etc. which he admitted I had no control over... so...... :).

I've been thinking it's time to invest in a wireless mic for my sony ax2000 . I used to have a sony 5.1 surround wireless mic that plugged into the hotshoe of the camera....but it was big, bulky, silver, and didn't work very well when other blue tooth enabled devices where around it.....as I found out during an interview when the blue light kept on flashing on and off. Much to my horror.

So, what is good, cost effective, and works? And hopefully sounds as good as my wired mic does? A Voice Mail from Pinky..... - YouTube

Old December 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Vitale View Post
So, what is good, cost effective, and works? And hopefully sounds as good as my wired mic does?
What is your budget?
"sounds as good as my wired mic? ... "Ain't gonna happen for less the $3K... even then, a $20 cable sounds better and is certainly more reliable.
There's been a whole lot written on this subject already.... to summarize, the general consensus is, nothing under $500 is even worth it. (except for home movies... maybe)
Search this and other forums.. which should keep you busy til virtual non-cable cables are invented.
I would suggest you start here:
The $500 Wireless Question, or, "What cheap system should I get?"
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Rick

I agree that there are no decent systems that are sub $500 BUT if you have to go sub $500 then go for a used setup.... More expensive doesn't also mean better... my Azden 100ULT systems (sadly not made any longer) were the only decent mic that they made....they are true diversity and seem to punch thru any obstacle!! I had a newer and much more expensive system (like 3 times the price) and it was really hopeless...you got dropouts in a Church if someone stood up!!

Neil, if you want a decent mic make sure that it's a diversity system and you don't really need all the fancy LCD displays that make it cost more ..just make sure in a crowded room you get a consistent and strong signal!!!

Apart from a bit of wear and tear on the lav windsock there is nothing wrong with buying used..you can then get a decent system for a budget price!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Sennheiser G3 series is the starting price for anything that's worth getting.

So, an ew 100 G3 system of your choice would be what I would start looking at.
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hey all,

wow, thanks for the advice..

I thought these things, being as small as they are, would start off at $200's for a lav unit, not $500!

I can def afford around $500-600. For the events I do do, and if I do more in the future like this Rob Paulsen thing, the price alone will be worth the word of mouth for job well done.

I'll take a look at the Senheiser one...
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Here's the irony: the smaller they are they more they cost. It's more difficult to get good sound from a tiny mic than from a larger one.
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

John, makes sense :)

Now, here is another incredibly stupid question, but you don't ask, you don't learn :).

When I hook up a mic to the aX2000, It still records on camera audio in the second output. So I can have one set for the mic, one set for onboard audio just in case.

Would the LAV cut out the onboard audio when hooked up?

#noob :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio