FM Static or Mic Noise? Sony UWP-V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Trustee

FM Static or Mic Noise? Sony UWP-V1

Question for anyone who might be able to help: I've been using a Sony UWP-V1 wireless system for a few years now (the one with the lav microphone), and recently I've started to hear a bit of noise in the audio. I'm pretty sure it's my ears that have improved, and the mic has stayed the same, but I can't help but notice a fairly audible hiss throughout the recorded audio.

Is this noise coming from the transmitter circuitry or from the microphone itself? Wondering if upgrading the microphone would make a difference or if a whole new system is the way to go. Last weekend I used it along side with a Lectrosonic system and the difference was quite astonishing! Not prepared to spend that kind of money at the moment, but I would like to improve my sound if it's as simple as a new microphone!

Perhaps someone else on this board uses UWP systems and can speak to the noise? Normal? If it makes any difference, cameras I've been using are the Panasonic AF100 and AG-AC130. Thanks.
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FM Static or Mic Noise? Sony UWP-V1

Nate, the lav that comes with the UWP-V1, well it sucks there's not even a model number on it. Part of Sonys 'manipulating the market' routine.

We have to buy locally for the current frequencies. But I ordered the Sony ECM-77BMP lav from BnH NY and it's a world of difference,
about 40% more signal. The black metal windscreen is good too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/161264-REG/Sony_ECM_77BMP_ECM_77BMP_Lavalier_Mic_with.html

For anyone else .. if you add the cost of that lav to the UWP-1 then you're approaching the cost of the Senn G3, and I eventually realised that
at the time. Check that out first.

Cheers.
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Not familiar with the units mentioned, but try these simple steps:

1. Turn off the transmitter but leave the receiver on; noise? receiver noisy or static/ interference, you're kinda screwed unless changing the channel solves the problem. No noise? - transmitter or mic - go to 2.

2. Turn on transmitter but disconnect the mic. Noise? - Transmitter problem, possibly pre - amps, see "you're kinda screwed" above. No noise? Mic problem, try a replacement - go to 3

3. Noise? That Senny G3 must be looking pretty tempting right about now.

The above does depend on what inbuilt do dahs etc etc etc are on the units, so take it with a pinch of NaCl.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Trustee

I also have the UWP-V1, and changed all our mics to ECM77Bs last year. When monitoring live audio with headphones, I also hear a fair amount of "compander" noise which sounds something like a "shhh" when audio is being transmitted, but stops as soon as there is silence. However, when I listen to the actual recording back at the office, it's a lot cleaner. So it appears that the annoying hiss only happens when monitoring. You are right though, Lectrosonics is absolutely silent at all times.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for everyone's responses. I ran the tests Chris recommended and found that the transmitter/receiver was a fair bit less noisy without any mic plugged in - I'm suspecting the bundled lav is causing some of the sounds I don't like to hear.

I started to look at some replacement mics last night (the cable on the original sony is splitting apart in several places) and found a good deal on ebay for a twice-used ECM-77B. Seller actually had a pair for $150 each if anyone else is interested...

I'll take a listen to the ECM-77B, and if it doesn't suit my liking with the UWP-V1, at least it will fit on a G3 system!

Thanks again for everyone's responses, I really appreciate it.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nate,

the ECM-77B lav will connect to the transmitter but it doesn't lock the mini plug to avoid pulling out under stress .. so to avoid having to replace its 1/8" mini-plug and instal one with the locking mechanism, then you would need the BMP version, linked in post 2, see specs. You could tape it up of course.

Cheers.
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Allan - I think the one I found is actually the BMP version, but I appreciate the info. They all look pretty close in website photos!
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Trustee

More problems.

Got a new G3 kit and it's great. However, when I plug in the ECM-77 I get strange robot noises. They intensify when I press buttons. Its more than annoying, it's unusable. The MKE-2 that came with the set works fine.

Is this a mic wiring problem? I assumed the Sony/Sennheiser pinouts were the same...

Thoughts?

***EDIT*** Ok, so the Sony mic seems to have a reversed polarity, meaning it only works when I have it plugged in half way. Is there an adapter that would allow for using it with both Sony and Senn systems or is re-wiring the only way?

Last edited by Nate Haustein; March 5th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Nate Haustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Either get it rewired or contact Eric Toline, "Mr. Link" in Florida and have him make you a custom connector.

audioetc@bellsouth.net

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks for the tip. I'll send him an email. It would be nice to have about a 6" reverser with the nice little screw on jacks. Wonder if it's do-able.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio