DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   who uses a wireless butt plug? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/503499-who-uses-wireless-butt-plug.html)

Rob Katz December 12th, 2011 01:02 PM

who uses a wireless butt plug?

i'm thinking of picking up a sennheiser g3 wireless kit w/the me2 lavs.

i'm up in the air about including a butt plug to possibly power a dynamic mic.

i have need for the wireless lavs.

at present, i don't have a need for the wireless butt plug.

who uses a wireless butt plug?

thanks in advance.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Shaun Roemich December 12th, 2011 01:07 PM

Re: who uses a wireless butt plug?

Um... we NORMALLY call them "plug on transmitters"

Dylan Couper December 12th, 2011 01:08 PM

Rob, you've won my Best Thread Title Of The Year prize (no actual prize). Enjoy all the glory that comes with!

Rob Katz December 12th, 2011 01:15 PM

shaun/dylan-

i hoped the language of my query would engender additional comments!

so, thoughts on the use of "plug on transmitters"?

thanks in advance.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Warren Kawamoto December 12th, 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Katz (Post 1703102)
i'm up in the air about including a butt plug to possibly power a dynamic mic.

I don't think you can power a dynamic mic.

Oren Arieli December 12th, 2011 01:39 PM

With apologies to the unintentional pun...I would say it depends.
I use the plug-in transmitter along with a dynamic mic for interviews, or to mic a PA system at weddings and corporate events. It also comes in handy if you can't run a long XLR cable (or don't have the time), but have access to the XLR output of a sound board. For me, it's a non-issue. I wouldn't go to a shoot without it. For you, I can't give a definitive answer.

Battle Vaughan December 12th, 2011 01:48 PM

If you do news or interviews using on-camera reporters, you might find this useful. I used the Senny plugin with an EV RE50 or an Audio-Technica self-powered condenser mike when putting mikes on a podium or if I had a reporter along who was supposed to be on-camera talent. I often found it more convenient, when at a press conference where a mult-box was provided, to just plug in the transmitter rather than running cables. Cables are more trouble free, but in some circumstances either the press of time, distance to run the cable, or creating some kind of trip hazard makes it impractical and the plugin can save your bacon.

Sennheiser has two types- -- one provides phantom power, one doesn't. The unpowered one runs a dynamic mike or a self-powered mike just fine.

Jerry Porter December 12th, 2011 01:51 PM

When I use min 99% of the time it is to get a feed off a sound board. When you need one they are really handy and have saved sound for me more than once when running a cable would have been impossible.

Gary Nattrass December 12th, 2011 01:57 PM

I have a plug in transmitter (butt plug) for my G2 radio mic's and it is the one that can provide phantom power for capacitor mic's. (dynamic mic's don't need power as said)

I find it very useful on a boom so the operator can move around and be wire free, I use mine with an AT875r mic in a rode pistol grip, it has also been useful in performance situations so I can get the mic closer to the stage.

I also use it with my mixer to send a mono mixed signal to the camera as well as recording a stereo mic mix locally on an external recorder, my mixer has three outputs for left right and mono sum so it is easy to use it this way.

They can also be useful with interview mic's as also stated but I also have a cardioid sennheiser radio stick mic for that as well.

Les Wilson December 12th, 2011 04:06 PM

It's a useful thing to have in your kit. I had it for years for the usual things already mentioned here such as turing a boom pole into a wireless one and a Dynamic mic into a roving one. Recently, I was in a rural environment with two water engineers with lavaliers and the plug-on gave my sound guy a wireless link from his field mixer to my camera. It made piling in and out of a Land Rover and tromping through the woods a breeze. He managed the speakers and my camera's shotgun got the ambient noise. I would have thought of it when I got the plug-on for my kit.... I didn't even have a field mixer back then.

Don Bloom December 12th, 2011 04:22 PM

I use it alot. For wedding receptions I use it for my Sennheiser E604 drum mic back to my camera for certain seminar shoots I use it for interviews to power my Shure SM63 and I have on occassion used it to pull off a sound board back to camera when I have to to roam around the room. Handy item to have in the bag.

Andrew Smith December 12th, 2011 08:03 PM

So I wasn't the only one wondering if he had posted on the correct forum?

Andrew

Reed Gidez December 13th, 2011 06:42 AM

LOL. DVINFO is going to get a few more hits from search engines from this thread !

I have a number of Sennheiser G2 kits and all but (one 't') include plug in transmitters along with the lag belt pack. Count me in with everyone here that they are beyond handy. In fact, if anyone has a B Frequency plug in they don't use and might want to sell, let me know!

Greg Bellotte December 13th, 2011 09:57 AM

if you don't require phantom power for your mic, the CM1 cable can be plugged into the body pack transmitter and allows you to use any non powered XLR mic. cheaper than the plug on...the CL1 works the same way for line level sources.

Reed Gidez December 13th, 2011 10:17 AM

Hey Greg

Got one. Necessary part of the kit. Just the type 'a' part of my personality that wants everything to line up neat and tidy lol! Good for the rest to know, though (not the part about my personality type!)