boom mic protection between takes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Major Player

boom mic protection between takes

How do you protect your boom mic in between takes? I often find myself leaning the boom with exposed mic against a wall while I go to the bathroom or visit craft services. But on crowded sets, this often feels like a recipe for disaster; someone could easily cause it to fall over and then the expensive mic on the end might hit the floor, not good.

My interest in being a sound guy started when I was an extra for the film "Moneyball" and it happened the sound cart set up right near me.

They had this big super-heavy vertical cylinder that looked perfect for the task: Heavy enough that it can't be knocked over, tall enough to hold the boom upright, and takes up hardly any floor space. Like an umbrella can on steroids.

What do you use to keep your boom and microphone safe on set while you are elsewhere?

I'm thinking of keeping some sort of sock handy to pull over the bare microphone, and then setting the boom upside down with the sock-covered mic on the floor so it can't fall. Or constructing some sort of foam or fabric covered covered thingy that I can leave on the floor and set the mic onto; perhaps just cover a camping plate with foam? Any better ideas short of building the monster umbrella holder like the big boys use?
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: boom mic protection between takes

Hi, Tom.............

You'd be better served finding a way to store it horizontally but NOT on the ground, too easy to tread on/ trip over.

Depends what's to hand, a couple of decent sized "s" hooks thrown over a bit of scaffolding would do, else park it on the top of any of the vans/ campers to hand, even hang it on the side of a tent if there is one.

As long as it isn't projecting anywhere to be a collision hazard it should be safe enough.

Oh, and buy softies/ dead cats for whatever mic's are in use, excellent mic protectors.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Good advice Chris, but often horizontal space is at a premium, especially at the set up location.

I just came across this device for $250 which looks like the light version of what I saw the hollywood guys using:

Boom Caddy | Remote Audio

I've also considered modifying a foam for protection purposes by cutting off the tip so the "action end" is unimpeded. Or perhaps just putting some gaffer tape around the leading edge of the mic would protect it from scratches; the isolation cage protects the rest of the mic fairly well.

Last edited by Tom Morrow; January 4th, 2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: corrected price
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just use my c-stand and boom cradle. Instead of setting it up as one normally would for overhead positioning, turn the cradle in the grip head so it holds the boom vertically. Doesn't take up much space, and pretty secure.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
Good advice Chris, but often horizontal space is at a premium, especially at the set up location.

I just came across this device for $250 which looks like the light version of what I saw the hollywood guys using:

Boom Caddy | Remote Audio

I've also considered modifying a foam for protection purposes by cutting off the tip so the "action end" is unimpeded. Or perhaps just putting some gaffer tape around the leading edge of the mic would protect it from scratches; the isolation cage protects the rest of the mic fairly well.
That boom caddy looks remarkably like a 2' section of 4" pipe. If you want it to be heavy, use iron. If you want it to be light, use PVC. Attach to a 18" x 18" piece of plywood.

Shazzam.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I was at a sound stage a few weeks ago and there was a traffic cone sitting there on the floor. I have no idea why, but it made a nice boom pole holder.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio