Windy day problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 17th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Windy day problem

Here is a short video that I put together to demonstrate the effect of using a windcutter wind shield.

Enjoy

Windcutter

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; January 18th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Windy day problem

Good demo.

Maybe just my imagination, but the second example ("standard" furry) seemed to have significantly less HF than the "bare mic" example.

But then the third example ("super-duper" furry) seemed NOT to have so much HF attenuation... as if that furry was less transparent to wind, but MORE transparent to HF information. Can this be?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Trustee

This could be the case Greg. The one thing that the video doesn't show too clearly is just how much wind there was on the day. The "bare" mike recording was the clearest track I could pull out, the out-takes had so much wind rumble on them that you couldn't make out what was being said. The standard cover did reduce the amount of rumble significantly but as you pointed out, it did seem to cut down some of the high frequencies. The "Super-Duper" cover (Storm Chaser) cover has longer hairs and worked a treat, the only problem is that it looks like a big mouse crawling over the presenter (me).

I will do some subjective tests to see how much HF are being cut by both covers. Will post the results here.
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Probably the simplest test would be to mount the mic a fixed distance from a speaker playing pink noise, and compare the results with a spectrum display.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Good demo.

Maybe just my imagination, but the second example ("standard" furry) seemed to have significantly less HF than the "bare mic" example.
This is normal - high wind covers can cut the high frequencies unless the designer has a good understanding of the physics involved.

The Rycote covers cut the HF the least, IMHO. They have a good understanding of the physics involved and the Windjammer is a very special design that really cuts the wind with minimal HF loss.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Trustee

I used the Storm Chaser on a moderately windy day at Beachy Head (White Cliffs here in the UK) and was really surprised how it totally removed the wind rumble. I had recorded a sound track at the same location on a previous occlusion without any wind guard and had to scrap the shoot due to rumble. We all learn the hard way at some time or another.

I listened to the sound track again Greg, and yes there is a reduction in HF, but nothing too much to worry about. I think there may be j a slight reduction in DB value due to changing mike position etc.

I can personally vouch for The Windcutter Storm Chaser, it is an excellent buy at a very modest price, must try to get it back from my cat :)
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you look at frequency response curves of top shotgun mics, they have a high frequency boost for exactly this reason. For some mics, they are flatter when inside a blimp, but if you are used to their boosted sound, the signal might sound dull to your ears when using wind protection.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio