DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   how do you use your h1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/504629-how-do-you-use-your-h1.html)

Rob Katz January 21st, 2012 06:36 PM

how do you use your h1?

i have an audio only-a radio gig-where i'm thinking of using the zoom h1.

at different times, i would use several different mics-(lavs=sony ecm 77/55 + rode ntg1 + akg93 + re50bd) wired to a mixpre (which would provide the needed phantom power and clean pre-amps).

i would then take the mixpre 3.5" line out and use the line in on the h1 as a digital dump.

thoughts?

by the way, how do you use your h1?

thanks in advance for sharing.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions

Rick Reineke January 22nd, 2012 04:54 PM

Re: how do you use your h1?

Digital dump? Not with the H1, and most all of the other budget portable digital audio recorders don't have a digital input either.. . except for the M-Audio Microtrack dinosaur, which had a S/PDIF connection as I recall. Other than that, use line level in, (if that's an option) though it would likely go through the H1's 'less then stellar' preamps anyway.

Andrew Smith January 24th, 2012 09:25 AM

Whilst the handling of low level noise recording is a bit horrible when the amps are maxing out on their auto-gain, it's otherwise a disturbingly good quality bit of gear for the price.

I tend to use mine for recording voice, combined with a Rode pin mic. I'll also use it for recording radio interviews (with a SM57) and as a stereo crowd mic using the existing XY inbuilt mics.

Andrew

PS. One day I may decide to purchase a more expensive recorder, but the moment I really don't feel the need to.

Tom Morrow January 24th, 2012 07:39 PM

I keep my h1 in my bag as a backup. Last weekend it saved me when I didn't have a long XLR cable, the h1 replaced the long cable. It also works well on top of a DSLR as a mini preamp.

Rob Katz January 27th, 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1710976)
Digital dump? Not with the H1, and most all of the other budget portable digital audio recorders don't have a digital input either.. . except for the M-Audio Microtrack dinosaur, which had a S/PDIF connection as I recall. Other than that, use line level in, (if that's an option) though it would likely go through the H1's 'less then stellar' preamps anyway.

rick-

perhaps i am mistaken but i "assumed" the line in option avoided the h1's pre-amps.

no? yes?

anyone care to share?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions

Rick Reineke January 28th, 2012 10:53 PM

I don't know about the H1 specifically, but many of the budget recorders (and cameras) just internally pad the signal down to mic level. In any case it's still better to have real good front end (primary pre-amp) and use line in.
A digital input would be best for sure also avoiding the 'less than stellar' A-D converters as well.