Recorder for the Audio-Technica AT4053b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 28th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Recorder for the Audio-Technica AT4053b

I am about to get the Audio-Technica AT4053b and looking to get a good digital recorder for it.
I have the zoom 4 but as much as I read, the zoom will not give the best result, but I might be wrong.
Aa well I thought of getting the DR 680 but I am not sure if it is to much for what I need
What about the Tascam DR 40?
Other wise what will be a good recorder for the money.

P.S
I will use it for in door interviews.
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recorder for the Audio-Technica AT4053b

The Zoom H4n, DR-100 or DR-40 would all work OK with the AT 4053. All can supply the necessary Phantom power via an XLR connection. The DR-680 is a multichannel recorder and would not be of any advantage unless, you need to record multiple mics at the same time. IMO the DR-100 would be the better choice for adjusting levels on the fly with it's variable rotary potentiometers. The DR-40 would be a less expensive choice or with an external mixer. The Zoom has it's pros and cons... as do the other aforementioned portable DARs.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Major Player

So the recording quality is just the same between dr-40,dr680 and the zoom?
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Moving your microphone 6 inches will make a MUCH greater difference in recording quality than you will see among any of those recorders.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dror Levi View Post
So the recording quality is just the same between dr-40,dr680 and the zoom?
All things being equal, you would probably not notice a huge difference between the DR-40, 100, 680 or the Zoom. Comes down to budget, features and personal preference.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Great. Thank you all for the help.
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would like to add the Marantz PMD661 to the list of possible portable recorders that do a good job. Two mic channels with xlr connections and reasonably good preamps. The only thing I don't like so much about them is that in sunlight the meters are very hard to see. The sound quality is pretty good though and they are very easy to operate.
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Major Player

I'll second the Marantz PMD 661 (although, I have the Oade Bros. Super Mod). I also have the AT 4053b with the Hyper-Cardioid capsule. Full disclosure, I had some problems with the AT 4053b. I purchased the mic. to re-do an 'Intro' for a documentary. Originally, I used the wrong mic. I used a RODE NTG-3 in a very reflective lobby location, the sound was as you'd expect, classic 'bathroom'. Wrong tool. So, after discussing it with the Producer, I talked him in to retaking the shot. Long story short, when I hooked-up the AT 4053b, I heard a pre-dominant 'hiss', I thought uh, oh, this doesn't sound good at all. I chalked it up to 'technique', or lack there of. We ended up using my Sennheiser remote Lavaliere and as luck would have it, a decision was made to do a few takes outside by a tree which allowed me to breakout the RODE NTG-3, again.

After some testing at home, I decided to send the mic. back for repair. AT 'replaced' rather than 'repair' the mic. and now it works as it should. Although, compared to my AKG C451 matched pair, the AT is a little 'sharp', but it works.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Major Player

One is supposed to have a preamp for their audio, then it doesn't matter what recorder you use. The Sound Devices MixPre-D is the tool every audio-for-video needs. Pricey? Yes! But it's a career long investment that is as important as the mic, and more important than the recorder.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Although, compared to my AKG C451 matched pair, the AT is a little 'sharp', but it works.

Regards,

J.

Are they recently made C451 's or one of the older models. What capsules do you have on them? I really like the older C451EB and C452EB models.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Tony...the 'new' AKG C451 B/ST.

J.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

OK cool. I The 451 is generally quite a bright sounding mic, but very handy for lots of things.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Major Player

Tony;

I can hook-up my mics. XLRs directly to the PMD 661 and record directly into it. Of course, there's the added complication of having to audibly and visually synchronizing the audio with the video, but it's doable. I can't speak to the Zoom 4, and what it 'needs'.

Regards,

J.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes the mic preamps in the PMD661 are quite good. Not quite up to the standard of some of my studio preamps, but certainly not going to really let you down. I have done a lot of recording with mine...mainly sound effects gathering when I'm out and about, and generally the results have been pretty good.
Syncing audio to video is always a bit of an added mission with a remote recorder, but worth it most times. Certainly having mics away from the camera is a big plus.
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio