DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I want to migrate to protools (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/505024-i-want-migrate-protools.html)

David Aliperti February 5th, 2012 05:02 AM

I want to migrate to protools

i am a logic user, as sound recordist i am envolved in some sound design and working on protools would make my life easier especially to interact with other studios where my jobs are going to be completed.
for many music project too (live recording) i used logic that give me possibility to bounce in multichannel, does protools allow me to do it?
please without spending too much what audio card and version of the software do you suggest me to buy, i want to stay around 1000$ thanks.

Ty Ford February 5th, 2012 07:34 AM

Re: I want to migrate to protools

Ciao David,

What exactly do you mean by multi-track bounce? You can export multiple continuous files as wav files, but they won't have plugin effects unless you render those effects with AudioSuite. Then, of course, you are locked in to those effects.

Unless there's another workflow, that's the way it works.

Regards,

Ty Ford

David Aliperti February 5th, 2012 09:43 AM

sorry i meant multi channel bounce, has it a 5.1 panner?

Rick Reineke February 5th, 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1713385)
i used logic that give me possibility to bounce in multichannel, does protools allow me to do it?

Are you are asking about transferring a Logic 'project' (or session) to ProTools? (timeline and files),
Unfortunately I know little about Logic, but basically, If you need to transfer a project from Logic or other DAW or NLE, you want to export an OMF, AAF or MXF file. While it will not transfer any plug-in processors or internal effects, The volume, pan, fade envelopes and timeline file placement should remain intact... But only if.. Logic supports exporting one of those file types. I don't have any experience with MXF files at this point either.
FWIW, the aforementioned transfer file types can also embed the original audio files to make things a little easier.

David Aliperti February 5th, 2012 02:53 PM

no no i am talking about just to start with protools, well i have learnt that it works no matter what audio device now.

Geoffrey Cox February 6th, 2012 03:33 AM

If you mean can ProTools play embedded 5.1 files, then the answer is yes though protools tends to split everything into mono files. It also has a variety of panners (though of course there is no need for a panner if your file is already in 5.1!). Overall, ProTools has much better support than Logic for multi-channel work and real flexibility in routing and grouping channels - with Logic you basically use what you are given, though for most this is enough.

David W. Jones February 6th, 2012 11:29 AM

For that type of work on a limited budget your best bet would be to get ProTools along with the Complete Production ToolKit, and an interface like the Digi 003R.

Good Luck!

Dave

Andrew Hughes February 9th, 2012 09:44 AM

Didn't the last version of pro-tools go hardware independent? Meaning that I think you can use whatever hardware you want with it.

Geoffrey Cox February 10th, 2012 02:35 PM

Yes Andrew you are right but I've got a feeling it dropped much of the multi-channel flexibility in the process!

Gerry Gallegos February 11th, 2012 11:01 PM

There is a difference between ProtoolsHD and Protools LE which is what is used for interfaces other than the HD interfaces. and the capabilities are not the same.

Gary Nattrass February 12th, 2012 04:04 AM

There used to be pro tools HD and LE but it is now all software/computer driven and you can chose your interface hardware.

Personally I use FCP to edit my video and also track lay most of my audio tracks, I then use a pro tools 002 system with LE version 8 and the DV toolkit to do my audio dubbing, I also have a blackmagic HD extreme card in my mac pro so can play back H264 HD pictures in sync to the audio tracks.

One dubbing is done I can then export and put my final mixes back onto my FCP timeline so that any re-edits can be done there, for larger broadcast projects I also mix an M+E with split dialogue fx and music stems so that it all stays together within FCP for delivery.