I want to migrate to protools at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 5th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I want to migrate to protools

i am a logic user, as sound recordist i am envolved in some sound design and working on protools would make my life easier especially to interact with other studios where my jobs are going to be completed.
for many music project too (live recording) i used logic that give me possibility to bounce in multichannel, does protools allow me to do it?
please without spending too much what audio card and version of the software do you suggest me to buy, i want to stay around 1000$ thanks.
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I want to migrate to protools

Ciao David,

What exactly do you mean by multi-track bounce? You can export multiple continuous files as wav files, but they won't have plugin effects unless you render those effects with AudioSuite. Then, of course, you are locked in to those effects.

Unless there's another workflow, that's the way it works.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sorry i meant multi channel bounce, has it a 5.1 panner?
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aliperti View Post
i used logic that give me possibility to bounce in multichannel, does protools allow me to do it?
Are you are asking about transferring a Logic 'project' (or session) to ProTools? (timeline and files),
Unfortunately I know little about Logic, but basically, If you need to transfer a project from Logic or other DAW or NLE, you want to export an OMF, AAF or MXF file. While it will not transfer any plug-in processors or internal effects, The volume, pan, fade envelopes and timeline file placement should remain intact... But only if.. Logic supports exporting one of those file types. I don't have any experience with MXF files at this point either.
FWIW, the aforementioned transfer file types can also embed the original audio files to make things a little easier.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

no no i am talking about just to start with protools, well i have learnt that it works no matter what audio device now.
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Major Player

If you mean can ProTools play embedded 5.1 files, then the answer is yes though protools tends to split everything into mono files. It also has a variety of panners (though of course there is no need for a panner if your file is already in 5.1!). Overall, ProTools has much better support than Logic for multi-channel work and real flexibility in routing and grouping channels - with Logic you basically use what you are given, though for most this is enough.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Trustee

For that type of work on a limited budget your best bet would be to get ProTools along with the Complete Production ToolKit, and an interface like the Digi 003R.

Good Luck!

Dave
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Didn't the last version of pro-tools go hardware independent? Meaning that I think you can use whatever hardware you want with it.
Andrew Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes Andrew you are right but I've got a feeling it dropped much of the multi-channel flexibility in the process!
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Major Player

There is a difference between ProtoolsHD and Protools LE which is what is used for interfaces other than the HD interfaces. and the capabilities are not the same.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #11
Trustee

There used to be pro tools HD and LE but it is now all software/computer driven and you can chose your interface hardware.

Personally I use FCP to edit my video and also track lay most of my audio tracks, I then use a pro tools 002 system with LE version 8 and the DV toolkit to do my audio dubbing, I also have a blackmagic HD extreme card in my mac pro so can play back H264 HD pictures in sync to the audio tracks.

One dubbing is done I can then export and put my final mixes back onto my FCP timeline so that any re-edits can be done there, for larger broadcast projects I also mix an M+E with split dialogue fx and music stems so that it all stays together within FCP for delivery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio