Rode Boompole cabling? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Rode Boompole cabling?

I know there are a zillion previous posts on boompoles and I've read most of them, but my question is quite specific to those who have some experience in the field using the 3m Rode Boompole.

Would you recommend
(a) using an external cable attached with the supplied velcro (or the optional plastic clips)
(b) fitting a straight internal cable
(c) fitting a coiled internal cable

I don't anticipate trying any advanced moves like varying the extended length mid-take, but I need to allow for a bit of movement from what I've done so far, and I'd like to know what you have found.

Disclaimer: I know the 3m Rode isn't always regarded as the prettiest/smoothest/lightest etc but I needed something that was built like a brick sh - sorry, dunny, and I saw a very good price the other day.

After using a <steel> pole (a black telescopic mic stand minus the base) for the last couple of years the Rode will feel like a feather, and anyway I always have my porridge in the mornings.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Rode Boompole cabling?

Hi Colin,

I got my Rode Boompole for free so I have absolutely no complaints about it. There are lighter poles but one of the things I like about the Rode is that it goes where I want it to be. During quick moves it is rigid enough that it won't flex.

As far as the cabling, I got coiled cable and it internal. You do have to be careful that the cable doesn't rattle in the tube but I haven't had much problem with that. I tried the external straight cable with velcro for while but I it was more problematic with handling noise being transmitted down the cable.

Just my experience.
Garrett
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Rode Boompole cabling?

Thanks Garrett. I'll try and source coiled balanced cable, or at least a coiled lead with proper connectors that can be unsoldered to get it through the top tube.

Since you've done this, what is the 'stretch factor' in coiled xlrs? I suppose it would need to be a 1.5m (to allow for the connections at each end) and be able to go up to just over 3m.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio