Using a Shuru SM58 for boom microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 6th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Using a Shuru SM58 for boom microphone

My friend is using a shure sm58 on a boom to record dialog on his short films and he said it works suprisingly well. has anyone else tried this microphone?
Marlon Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

SM 58 good mic - but as a Boom??

The SM 58 is a very good dynamic microphone, I use it almost every day in my recording studio. But, as good as it is, it is used primarily for vocals or as an interview mic - not as a shotgun/boom mic.

First off - the SM 58 has a standard cardioid pattern, and not a super cardioid pattern such as a traditional shotgun - thus you will probably pick up a lot more outside noise with this microphone than you would with a shotgun (such as the Audio Technica 4071A).

Also - because it is a dynamic microphone, you won't get the sensitivity and the crispness of a condenser microphone (as most shotguns are).

And also because it is a vocal mic - and not designed for shotgun use - I'm sure you won't get the range of a traditional mic either.

But with all that said - a SM58 is a nice mic to have in your kit - and is a lot cheaper than a traditional shotgun microphone. Also - it can take a TON of abuse and keep on working fine.

And if it suits your needs as a boom mic as well out in the field - then I see no harm in using it - though you might get better results and better sound quality with a shotgun.

Hope that helps
Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio