Wedding Reception Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Reception Mic

We currently use the Rode Video Mics with our Canon DSLR's. We leave the audio on Auto most of the time, but during the reception, we switch to Manual, turn it all the way down and then back up one notch. We have some bands that are just so loud, the mics can't handle it. Is there a better mic for the job?

Thanks,

Chad Dyle
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

re: Wedding Reception Mic

When you look at the waveform, is the signal going to full scale? If so, you need to add a pad between mic and camera. If the waveform clips before it gets to full scale, then it's the mic that can't handle it.

My guess is that you're overdriving the camera with too hot a signal, rather than overloading the mic. The Videomic can handle 134dB, according to the specs. That's pretty solid.

I haven't used one of these, but it should do the trick. For the situation you mention, I'd go for 20dB attenuation to be safe. You can always turn up the gain in the camera a bit if 20dB is too soft.
Core Sound Attenuator Cables
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Major Player

And the pro model has the Attenuator built in. I just move the switch to -20 during the reception.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I also use RODE Videomic on DSLR for weddings. But that's only for run and gun situation, and guests interview. For ceremony, reception, I placed a Zoom voice recorder near the DJ sound system. I got great sound without hooking up the DJ sound board. It is also not as DRY because it picks up some live audience sound too.

Check out these clips
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I also noticed that our newer Rode Mics have a -10, -20 and -30 jumper in the inside. I'm going to try to see if that helps.

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Wedding Reception Mic

After looking at the jumper, I don't think its something that will be very easy to do at a wedding reception. I might need to look into other mics.

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio