DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tascam DR100 vs Roland R-26 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/506003-tascam-dr100-vs-roland-r-26-a.html)

Sanjin Svajger March 10th, 2012 08:03 AM

Tascam DR100 vs Roland R-26

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this two recorders. I can get both of them for the same $$. I'll use it for lot's of different scenarios. I'll also probably pair it with a mixer in the future. Maybe with Mixpre-d.

Thanks

Br
S

Rick Reineke March 10th, 2012 11:28 AM

Re: Tascam DR100 vs Roland R-26

While they both do basically the same thing, one may have better features which suit your particular workflow . Just read as many reviews as you can find and evaluate the differences. Kind of comes down to a personal preference. Both are good IMO. Sorry, I don't have any hands-on evaluations of the pre-amps, A/D converters, ect.

Justin Molush March 10th, 2012 12:29 PM

I too am looking at purchasing a Tascam DR100, but one thing that bugs me is that I cannot stagger 2 mono signals from one XLR into a single recording so if I blow one channel out, I have the second as backup.

Any recorders in this price range that have that feature? Don't mean to hijack the thread - I am looking at an XLR recorder in the same price range as well and would love some insight into my options here.

Sanjin Svajger March 10th, 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1720148)
While they both do basically the same thing, one may have better features which suit your particular workflow . Just read as many reviews as you can find and evaluate the differences. Kind of comes down to a personal preference. Both are good IMO. Sorry, I don't have any hands-on evaluations of the pre-amps, A/D converters, ect.

Yeah, I am not a sound person. I did some research but I'm still limited by my knowledge of audio. So I'm hopping that somebody here has some definite answers:)

I like that Tascam has two batteries. So the total rec time using phantom power adds up to app 5 hours.
The thing I like about the R-26 is that it has the gain control on the same side as the screen.
Oh yeah, and the screen is nice and big. Don't really care about the touch screen part but nonetheless it's a bonus. Also it's nice that it has 6 tracks. So one can record the sound with it's omni mics and also at the same time with an external mic using the XLR inputs. Tascam can't do that..

Rick Reineke March 11th, 2012 10:40 AM

Justin, the Tascam DR-40 has the 'redundant reduced record level' option you may want... If that's what you mean. Additionally, with the latest 1.10 firmware update, the Left/Right balance can now be adj..
The DR-40 can record 2 external and 2 internal mics at the same time. (or a single mono mic/line track)It economically runs on 3-AAs but is not as 'feature rich' as the 100... or R-26. I would think the R-26, DR- 40 and 100's pre amps and sound quality to be in the same budget recorder league. I have a DR-40 but only use it the line-level mode.
FWIW, The March 2012 issue of Mix, (magazine) has a review of the R-26, DR-100 and the Nagra SD.

Sanjin Svajger March 11th, 2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1720270)
FWIW, The March 2012 issue of Mix, (magazine) has a review of the R-26, DR-100 and the Nagra SD.

Is it online? Could you post the link?