DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need recommendations for a good ENG Handheld mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/506049-need-recommendations-good-eng-handheld-mic.html)

Iker Riera March 12th, 2012 03:56 PM

Need recommendations for a good ENG Handheld mic

So i've got a project coming up which will be a TV show where we'll need to do interviews with a handheld microphone on occasions.

I have an old mic that we did some tests with but it captures handling noise way too easily so,any recommendations? i'm trying to keep it under $200 if possible, produces good sound (duh) and has little handling noise (important).

I've been looking at models like the Sennheiser MD42 or MD 46 and the Electro Voice RE50/B.

Any help is appreciated.

Rick Reineke March 12th, 2012 06:23 PM

Re: Need recommendations for a good ENG Handheld mic

The RE50 is pretty much the defacto standard reporters H/H mic in the US. (gets more airtime than Seinfeld reruns) But I'd be a proud to own and/or use either of the fine Sennheisers.. The MD42 & RE50 are omnis, whilst the MD46 is a (wide) cardioid.
AT, Beyer and Shure make excellent models as well. Plan on spending $100-250 range if buying new.
Note: If your dealing with a camera or budget recorder that typically does not a have a lot of gain available, consider a high-output model, like the RE50 N/DYM.
An omni 'condenser' H/H would generally give you a higher output as well, but they are not usually as rugged as the dynamics... Foul weather, humidity and such could be an issue with them too.

Iker Riera March 12th, 2012 06:52 PM

thanks, yeah i was reading a bit more just now and the EV RE50 seems like a very popular model too, any opinions on it vs. the Sennheiser MD42?

Don Bloom March 12th, 2012 09:22 PM

The RE50, Senn 42, Shure SM63, Electrovoice 635...Can't really go wrong with any of them.
The RE50 can double as a hammer, the SM63 is very elegant looking (I use this for any type of interviews where the mic must be seen) the 42 is solid and the 635 is also quite popular.

All pretty much around the same money..Pays your money, takes your choice. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Iker Riera March 12th, 2012 09:48 PM

thanks for the help, yeah the popular ones all seem to get pretty positive reviews and all seem like a safe bet. Will compare them bit more and pick one soon.

thanks again all :)

John Willett March 13th, 2012 07:03 AM

This same question has been posted on at least three different forums!

The EV is popular, but it has been around a long time and is well established.

The Sennheiser MD42 (omni) is a much newer mic. and has yet to fully establish itself.

Though Rupert Neve did tell me many years ago that he thought the Sennheiser MD 21 was the best interview mic. - introduced almost 60 years ago and is still a current product.

Paul R Johnson March 13th, 2012 10:31 AM

Personal favourite is the Beyer M58.

Rick Reineke March 13th, 2012 12:06 PM

"Rupert Neve? Rupert who? Sounds like an English Texan... What does da f___k does HE know?

(I am being fastidious for the uneducated)

Rick Reineke March 13th, 2012 12:11 PM

So John....Your saying "Rupert Neve did tell me many years ago that he thought the Sennheiser MD 21 was the best interview mic "
Rupert Neve? Rupert who? Sounds like an English Texan... What does da f___k does HE know?
The Sennheiser 421 is also a kick-ass radio host mic.. not to mention.. used on more ' drum kit toms' .. (records) than all of us can count.

Kevin Walsh March 13th, 2012 08:04 PM

The EV 635a is less than 6 inches long. This may or may not be an advantage depending on your use.
I like it because it is very easy to pack, But the short handle could be an issue if you want to put a flag on the mic.

John Willett March 14th, 2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1720695)
The Sennheiser 421 is also a kick-ass radio host mic.. not to mention.. used on more ' drum kit toms' .. (records) than all of us can count.

I agree - the MD 421 was actually my interview mic. of choice when I worked in local radio back in the late 1970s.

Greg Miller March 14th, 2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1720694)

Really? I thought you were being facetious.

Gary Nattrass March 14th, 2012 01:20 PM

I have two beyer M58's now but also use a couple of low cost Takstar omni capacitor mics if I need smaller hand held interview mics.

The RE50 tends to be industry standard here too although the BBC tend to use the M58, I had a 635a too but found it too small for most people.

The M421 tends to get overlooked these days as it is very ugly in vision but it is the stock tom tom mic for most PA companies mainly because it survives being hit with the sticks very well.

Audio technica also make some budget omni mics that are good quality.

Tom Morrow March 16th, 2012 10:37 PM

The 421 is not a handheld mic.

I have a 635N/D-B which I bought for the small size, but the one thing I don't like is that something about the fit prevents my Sennheiser g3 "butt plug" from latching on... I have to gaffer tape it otherwise it slides off.

I got the Neodynium version which has a slightly different frequency response for more output (and cost). I suspect that I prefer the non-Neodynium version sound but haven't been rigorous enough to be sure.

If I were to do it over again I'd probably get an RE50 for reliability and looks, but it's an old design and newer mics can best it in some areas.

If I had the cash I might supplement with the Sennheiser MD46 (dynamic cardioid) for noisy environments, or one of the Sennheiser condensers for lower distortion and hotter signal for situations where the mic can't be placed right up against the mouth.

Gary Nattrass March 17th, 2012 03:20 AM

I totally agree Tom but sennheiser actually designed it for that purpose and I remember seeing it in their catalogues in the 70's as an in vision presenters mic.

I suppose that chunky plastic design was for easy grip in cold weather but it was never popular as it looked too ugly, the 441 was another mic that may have sounded good but looked strange as it was more like a piece of alloy box section tubing.

As said they became popular as drum mic's as they could take a hit from the sticks better than an SM57 or 58 although the built in mic clip was pretty dreadful as well.