DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Replacement for Sound Devices-302?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/506090-replacement-sound-devices-302-a.html)

James Kuhn March 14th, 2012 08:42 AM

Replacement for Sound Devices-302??

Greetings to all;

I was wondering if anyone had heard rumors regarding an upgraded SD-302. The current model has been in the SD line-up for a few years and I was curious if any of the 'industry insiders' have 'insight' they'd like to share. The reason I ask, I'm about to pull the trigger on the SD-302 Mixer, but would really be pissed-off if SD released a 'New and Improved' version right after my purchase. Although, chasing technology is kind of like trying to 'time the Market', a fools errand.

If SD is going to announce an updated SD-302 'NAB 2012' would be the perfect place to do it .

Take care of yourselves,

J.

Jeffery Magat March 14th, 2012 11:11 AM

Re: Replacement for Sound Devices-302??

The thing with Sound Devices is that they never show their hand before their announcement. I'm already holding off on a 788T until NAB. If you need it immediately.... buy it. If you don't, wait until next month.

James Kuhn March 14th, 2012 11:19 AM

Jeffery...thank you for your thoughtful response. Yeah, I can wait until after NAB '2012, but I was hoping someone would spill the beans early. Heh, heh!

Best regards,

J.

Jeffery Magat March 14th, 2012 03:55 PM

The beans have never been spilled early by Sound Devices, but the great thing that Sound Devices does is that once they announce a product it usually ships within a month. So just wait until April 16th if you can. :D

Andy Balla March 14th, 2012 04:07 PM

Personally, I'm waiting for SD to release a replacement for the 302 so I can buy a used 302 for cheaper. I don't mind not being on the cutting edge with audio gear. Even if something better comes out, the 302 will still kick ass.

James Kuhn March 14th, 2012 05:42 PM

Jeffry...that's good to know. We have all been bitten by "The New, Better, Best...".

Andy...good point. This would be my first 'mixer', by all accounts, it's a good one for me to 'cut my teeth on'.

I may just go ahead and purchase the SD-302, I am not a sophisticated enough user to need more bells & whistles.

J.

Jeffery Magat March 14th, 2012 06:10 PM

With all of my current SD gear I purchased about one year before they came out with something newer and better. I'm trying to beat it this year, but I have my doubts of something bigger than a 788T coming out. I'm definitely predicting a 302 update with some sort of internal recorder.

Less than 5 weeks to go.

James Kuhn March 14th, 2012 08:07 PM

Jeff...that would be cool, except I just bought a Marantz PMD-661(Oade 'Super Mod'). You can never have enough gear, right? Heh, heh! I consider the equipment I'm purchasing a long-term investment, so I'm trying to buy the best I can.

Regards,

J.

James Kuhn March 15th, 2012 02:54 PM

To all;

I went ahead and ordered the Sound Devices SD302. I decided in my case, it really doesn't matter too much, even if it isn't the 'latest & greatest' version. It will be my first mixer, and everybody has to start somewhere. Right? The 'doo-dads' required to make the darn thing operate are a bit of an eye-opener. The price for a 'Breakaway' cable is pretty sporty. Heh, heh!

I'm sure it will be just grand!

Thanks to the many folks who assisted in my buying decision, and in my growing knowledge of audio, they include (in no particular order):

Samuel Mallory

Ty Ford

Doug Oade

Jon Tatooless

Garrett Low

I owe these folks a debt I can never repay for their unselfish sharing of their decades of knowledge. I only hope one day to pass-on some of what I've learned to another. Thanks to all!

Regards,

J.

Tom Morrow March 16th, 2012 10:59 PM

I purchased my used Mixpre literally the day before it was obsoleted by the Mixpre-d; I wish I had known to wait for NAB.

But now that I'm outgrowing the Mixpre and getting ready for a 302, I realize that I really would like digital audio; it'd be great to be able to use it as a USB interface for pro tools. And a built in recorder would be sweet, especially if they figure out a way to incorporate a display of file numbers.

I am getting concerned about the crowding of controls on the 302. Already you need lots of push this-then-that-then-this sequences, and adding a bunch of new features to the already-filled surface area is going to make usability even worse. For that reason, I might just end up getting a used 302 once the new model arrives.

James Kuhn March 17th, 2012 08:02 AM

Tom...yeah, that sucks when it happens. How would you like to have spent $30K on a Rollei 2.25" film camera kit, with all the major 'primes' they offered at the time, only to find yourself 6-months later, with obsolete gear that has been replaced by DSLRs? I was a little miffed. Heh, heh! I despise chasing technology, I guess, because I can never afford to get out in-front of the 'rolling-wave'.

In the final analysis, the SD-302 is the right mixer for me at this juncture. It has professional features, good clean sound, and the technology is mature. When you buy the 'latest & greatest', you sometimes become the 'beta tester' for the manufacturer. I'm not saying Sound Devices is that way, on the contrary, but any 'new' product brought to market can have teething pains.

Take care of yourself,

J.

Allan Black March 17th, 2012 07:07 PM

Once you set the 302 up with your preferences, apart from its operational controls you'd rarely alter any other settings. It makes sense that new,
it's ready to go right out of the box.

But the 302 has been taken off SDs front page, tho it's still listed inside ... despite their move to a new facility, something's up ...

Sound Devices, LLC | Professional, Portable Audio Products

This is a handy SD page for 302 users ...

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/category/mixers/302/

Cheers.

James Kuhn March 18th, 2012 09:00 AM

Allan...great links, thank you. Yup, I'm sort of convinced "something is afoot." like you said , but the 302 is a good learning platform for me and will do the job until I 'need' something else. It's kind of like when a Company issues it's 'official denial', you can know just the opposite is true. Heh, heh!

Regardless, the SD-302 will answer the mail for awhile.

Regards,

J.

Ty Ford March 25th, 2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Kuhn (Post 1721452)
I can never afford to get out in-front of the 'rolling-wave'.

J.

I think thats's called "the bleeding edge of technology."

Regards,

Ty Ford

Daniel Epstein March 25th, 2012 10:59 AM

A few years back when the 552 was delivered there was talk of upgrading the 302 with an internal recorder as well. Maybe the time has come.