Sd 722 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Sd 722

Hello All -

I've been thinking of stepping up, as I've been having issues with my Zoom H4N, and am eager to move out of prosumer and into pro gear. I'm looking at the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325630-REG/Sound_Devices_722_722_2_Channel_High_Resolution_Portable.html and was just curious if anyone here has worked with it in the past / still works with it. Thoughts? Is there something comparable? I remember using the SD 744t on a shoot, but I just can't afford the upgrade to 4 channel.
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sd 722

I just upgraded from an H4n to a Tascam HD-P2. It just arrived yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to play with it on a shoot yet. Main thing I wanted the HD-P2 for was its ability to take time code. I got this one used, and it looks like brand new, for $420 shipped. At any rate, from all I've read and heard, they are really nice sounding units. Most people seem to say the only advantage of the SD 7 series recorders is a slightly better sound quality and a more robust build quality. Oh, and the HD-P2 is pretty large. I'm in need of a larger bag now...
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would take a look at the 702 (non-timecode) and the 702T (timecode) as alternatives if you feel you don't need an internal hard drive. The 702T has timecode and would cost the same amount as a 722.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I second the 702 suggestion. The 702 can take an external firewire hard drive as well as a CF card. There isn't much benefit to an internal hard drive, at least not in my experience.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I purchased the SD 702 from B&H, and I think it is a wonderful 2 channel recorder. It's incredibly quiet, and the CF cards are very nice. I shoot double-system or sound effects, and my EX1R camera doesn't have smpte/genlock so I did not purchase the timecode version of the 702.

Why do you want the 722, specifically? Which features do you expect to find beneficial?

- rob
Rob MacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Brian,
You will not go wrong with it.

I own the 702T. If budget is tight and you don't need the Time Code version, then you can get the 702. CF cards are pretty cheap these days. So I don't see any advantage of an internal hard drive.

I had done a write up. You can check it here: Sound Devices 702T Sound recorder review

Sabyasachi
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Sorry, everyone, for the delay of getting back to you. The only reason that I had looked into the 4 channel version of this device is that I'd worked with it before. I wasn't aware that they made CF card versions of it, and believe that the 702 will work quite nicely! As always, thank you very much. Sabyasachi, I read your review, and it was very helpful. As always, this community provides nothing but the best advice. I hope to purchase in the next several weeks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio