DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser Evolution G3 100 Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/506362-sennheiser-evolution-g3-100-series.html)

Jim Stamos March 25th, 2012 12:42 AM

Sennheiser Evolution G3 100 Series

anyone have input on this setup. ive been using lectro U100 series for years but need another setup. mainly shoot corporate/docs/weddings.
thx

Geoff Addis March 26th, 2012 04:02 AM

Re: Sennheiser Evolution G3 100 Series

Sennheiser have a very high reputation in broadcast and pro audio. I once had a capacitor mic of theirs that was dropped into water, after drying out it worked perfectly! I have been using their radio mics for years without any problems.

Geoff.

Les Wilson March 26th, 2012 05:48 AM

Jim, as pointed out, you'll find lots of discussion on these mics with some searching here on DVinfo. I can't compare them to Lectro but I have used the first generation, G2 and G3 wireless. They are affordable and therefore popular. They do suffer dropouts sometimes. I find the G2 and G3 power consumption quite low. I love how I can put them on a subject, turn it on and leave it on all day with no worries. The bodypacks and receivers are also small and light which is good for stuffing them in a pocket on your subject and for hauling around on your EX1R. One think I don't like vs the original design is that the don't stack as well. Even still, I don't want to go back to the originals.

Phillip Palacios March 26th, 2012 09:15 AM

They are great for the price. I usually will do a frequency scan in any new environment to make sure I am using a clear channel. You'll want a better mic for them though. Sanken, Countryman, whatever your ear prefers.
p

James Kuhn March 26th, 2012 11:58 AM

Hi, Jim...I have the EW 100 G3 kit, I haven't used it often, but the times I have, it works as advertised. One thing to consider, if you are using it in an 'active RF area', you may get the occasional drop-out or interference. Beyond that, it a good system.

Regards,

J.

Battle Vaughan March 26th, 2012 12:28 PM

If you decide to buy, first go to their website and search for the best frequency band to purchase for your area:
Find Available Frequencies

Second, you might like the Tram TR50 mikes, there is a Sennheiser-connector version. I believe B&H still sells a set that includes two body-packs, two receivers, two tram mikes, and RE50b and an xlr tranmitter as a complete kit. Bought that once, was a pretty good deal....

Rick Reineke March 26th, 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1722939)
ive been using lectro U100 series for years but need another setup. mainly shoot corporate/docs/weddings.
thx

Do you mean Lectrosonics UCR100/UM10 or the discontinued Audio Technica U-100?
If you like the Lectro, It's a good budget system, So is the G3. The Lectro is somewhat more robust. Reception wise, the G3 has an edge with it's s diversity receiver. an improvement over the G2.
The ME-2 omni lav the comes with the G3 ain't that great though. But I'm not fond of the Lectro M150 either.

Steve Oakley March 28th, 2012 11:00 PM

Try my review on it Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic System Review

James Kuhn March 29th, 2012 11:43 AM

Hi, Steve! I enjoyed your review of the Senn. 'G3' kit, I have that very set myself. As I stated above, I haven't used it often, but those times I did use the Senn. Lav worked. I don't have a mic. to use the 'butt-plug', yet, but I intend on getting an EV 635N/D B to use as a quick interview solution.

Best regards,

J.

Robert Turchick March 29th, 2012 02:57 PM

Have used the G3 since it came out and still have my G2 in service. Very reliable. A couple of years ago I re-miked with Sanken COS11's and Voice Technologies VT500's. Sound very good now.

Paul R Johnson March 29th, 2012 03:39 PM

Steve's review was pretty well spot on performance wise, but I had to smile a little at some of the features he missed. These products were primarily designed (as in the original, then G2 series before them) for theatrical style use. So many of the missing features, such as buttons easily available, rather than under flaps is a design point. Theatrically, even the mute button is considered a bad point by the audio people - actors frequently fiddle and on these the mute button usually gets a bit of tape over it to prevent the actors turning it off. Most will never find the buttons inside thank goodness.

The cable compensation comes in handy on things like single coil pickups - think Fender Strats - the idea is to make the radio system sound the same as a cable connection. I agree it's a capacitance simulation - but some muso's like to use the feature. The ME2 is a very dull mic - nowhere near as good as the MKE2, which I really like.

Here in the UK, the Sennheisers are by far the most popular professional standard radio system, closely followed by the Shures. Video use has always (market share wise) been a very small market compared with music and entertainment - and although Lectro is beginning to appear here, and Zaxcom too, theatrically they're nowhere near as popular - although cost is a real consideration. Audio Ltd and Sonys are popular with video people here in the broadcast sector, but from time to time I've had to use them for theatre and hated them - for exactly the positive features Steve mentioned.

He mentioned the external powering feature - and Sennheiser do do a battery simulator with external power supply - but they're not really meant to be put in the recordists bag and used that way.

One thing on the G2 and 3 I do hate is the belt clips - they always seem to ping off. The 3.5mm socket is also a potential problem - the moulded plugs on some mics aren't quite the correct thread, and although they appear tight, wiggling under clothing can loosen them unexpectedly and then they crackle. The crafty way line level uses a different pair on the jack plug from mic means using them on guitars is pain free. I don't find rechargeables last too long and I get through hundreds of AAs instead

I've been very impressed with the Sennheisers.

James Kuhn March 29th, 2012 04:55 PM

Paul..."Horse for courses.", right mate?

J.

John Willett March 30th, 2012 03:44 PM

To answer some questions.......

The G3 300 series have user mute buttons - a big button on the hand-held and an optional remote for the pocket - these are programmable with several different options.

The 500 and 2000 series come with screw-LEMO connectors.