How to test XLR cables and adapters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to test XLR cables and adapters?

I have had problems in the past with miswired cables and such. How do I test all my XLR cables and adapters to make sure they are properly wired?
Mike Shkolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shkolnik
I have had problems in the past with miswired cables and such. How do I test all my XLR cables and adapters to make sure they are properly wired?
Hey Mike,

I would suggest you check out google.com or this site for archival help....

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Although you could use a multimeter(ohmeter) to do basic tests a cable tester is a better way to go.By loading the circuit it can check crosstalk etc. rather than a simple connection test.Behringer makes one that is inexpensive.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4

Behringer, Whirlwind, Rapco, Horizon, just about every cable company makes an inexpensive cable tester. I find it a lot more useful than my VOM, just because of speed. Takes 3 times as long to test a cable with a VOM, because you have to check all 3 pins. Even then, you don't always get the full story. Cable checkers only can tell you if the integrity of the connection is good at that moment, but you could have an intermittent short, so be sure to 'bounce' the cables while you test them, and see if the lights go out/come on the cable tester.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #5
Trustee

The Behringer cable tester will also latch onto an intermittent fault, as well as giving you a tone generator. It's a great tool to have handy.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The Behringer looks like it was reverse engineered from the Ebtech device.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/swizzdes.html
http://www.behringer.com/CT100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Oh hey, they didn't even bother to change the silk screening.

I'm not just saying you should boycott Behringer (doubt it would be effective), but maybe something should be done about this.

2- It may be that Behringer didn't copy the Ebtech design. But given the similarity of their products with their competitors, and the lawsuit they got into with Mackie... I doubt it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Glenn Chan]The Behringer looks like it was reverse engineered from the Ebtech device.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/swizzdes.html
http://www.behringer.com/CT100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Oh hey, they didn't even bother to change the silk screening.

I'm not just saying you should boycott Behringer (doubt it would be effective), but maybe something should be done about this.

QUOTE]

personally, I won't use Behringer products for the simple reason that it seems like ALL they do is copy Rane, Mackie, Samson, Peavey, Rolls, and other companies with innovation...but, that's also political, so not much gets said about it here, at least not from me. I just don't like the way they blatantly piggyback on other companies, their advertising, look, and features.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Maybe we can setup a website here on dvinfo showing similarities between behringer products and other products, and ask behringer why their products are so similar (i.e. email them).

I think getting the word out would be the best thing to put an end to reverse engineering practices. Of course, maybe Behringer should be given a chance to explain themselves first.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #9

Good idea, Glenn, but two comments:
1. it would detract/divert energy from what DVinfo.net is really about.
2. It could invite legal hassles for the KennelMaster.

Behringer has had the opportunity to explain themselves, and they continue to do so. In fact, they have threatened to sue at least one BBS that I'm aware of, and because the UK court found in their favor, citing that while the design circuits were indeed effectively clones, that Mackie had messed up on how they registered the patent. This is what Behringer seems to hang their hat on, that they got away with it once. I know when they were accused of copying the EBTech, they responded with "There is no property protection filed by EBTech, and we'll sue you if you say another word."
Google Behringer, legal, or Behringer, Aphex, or other similar Googles, you'll find lots of case law. But...it really shouldn't be heavily discussed here out of respect for the site, and avoiding hassle, even though I happen to agree with you 100%.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for the tips on cable testers. I didn't think this would become such a political issue... :)

-Mike
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

On second thought - I don't know if a cable tester would catch this. We actually had XLR cables (expensive ones) that had the shield and hot wires switched, thus sound was being recorded through the shield and any nearby electrical device added hum to the sound. Since all wires were wired through, a cable tester might show that the cable is fine. Can any of these testers detect something like that?
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Yup.Have a look at a few from the manufactures site or popin to your local audio guru shop.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #13
Major Player

I've been using an Ebtech Swizz Army 6 in 1 Cable Tester

Checks XLR, 1/4 in., RCA, 1/8 in., TT, and MIDI cables for continuity and/or intermittent connections. Also detects opens and shorts for each pin. Other features include test tone generator (+4, -10, Mic), phantom power detector, grounded XLR shield detector and cable wiring display.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/
http://www.synthtopia.com/items/Ebtech/EBTSWIZZCT.htm

Takes a beating in the field and hasn't failed for the three years in service here.

Best,
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Re: How to test XLR cables and adapters?

I know this is old... found it in some searches or something.

I found another thread in another forum that made a great observation.

We hammer on Behringer for copying EBTech and I don't disagree... BUT... how much can we really defend EBTech when they named their product "Swizz Army" thereby trying to ride the coat tails of a well established brand and circumventing copyright by using Z's instead of S's.

Just saying... kind of ironic in the end.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #15
Wrangler

Re: How to test XLR cables and adapters?

Are they the same? One is $29, the other $98.

In any case it is not unusual for one company to private label a product produced by another for them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio