DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless GL2 or not (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/50647-wireless-gl2-not.html)

Steve Sirinides September 7th, 2005 12:29 AM

Wireless GL2 or not

Hey people, I really could use some advice on this, and I apologize if it's already been answered a million times. I have a Canon GL2 with a Rode VideoMic, which I'm very happy with. I was recently asked to do a project that would require me recording audio from a moving subject (an older lady who will be walking slowly while giving a sort of tour - don't ask).

My question is this - do you think I'd be better off getting a wireless lav setup or would I be better getting a balanced wire for my VideoMic and having someone hold is up like a boom mic? I realize an expensive wireless setup with a beachtek adapter would be optimal, but cost is restrictive - say, $200-300. Any thoughts? Any good wireless lav setups that wouldn't require a beachtek?

Stu Holmes September 7th, 2005 12:43 AM

i'd imagine a wireless lav would definitely be teh best thing to use here, as if the lady is giving you a tour, when she turns away from camera, and you're using an on camera Rode, it's going to dramatically affect the sound. it'll be inconsistent.
A wireless lav will eliminate the inconsistency.
People seem to recommend systems like Sennheiser G2, Sony UWP-C1, etc.etc.

am sure others will chip in with other stuff.

rgds

Graham Bernard September 7th, 2005 12:46 AM

Steve? A real hard call this one.

How often, and over and above this and other projects, WOULD you be using a Tx and Rx setup? Often/Not often? However, over time, and I mean time, the "cost" of the wireless setup will be diluted by the other jobs you take on - then you WILL be pleased you invested. I wasn't initially, but now I am. The other option would be to hire kit just for this job. Is this possible in Athens? Dunno. Boom-Poling the talent - using another helper/sound guy is a way. You'd have to check out the quality you'd get with the RVM and ascertain if it "fits" your requirements.

Hard call, I see 3 options so far:-

a) Invest and lay-off the cost over the months and projects to come.

b) Boom pole and hard wire to camera AND/OR to recording device - use the XM2 audio as synch in post!

c) Hire kit!

Not easy . . . .

Grazie

Steve Sirinides September 7th, 2005 01:17 AM

Thanks Stu and Grazie. Well, I would definitely be using it over again, and I suppose the cost would balance itself out in time. I have another project coming up that will definitely require a lav mic, wireless or no, because of a number of interviews I'll need to record. I'm leaning towards investing, Grazie. What setup do you have?

I just got my GL2 rebate in today, so maybe I can afford a bit more. Darn...I was hoping to spend that on a cheaper camera for capturing. Oh, and it is a GL2 and not an XM2, Grazie - not that it really matters, but just for your info.

Graham Bernard September 7th, 2005 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Sirinides
" . . . I would definitely be using it over again, and I suppose the cost would balance itself out in time.

GOOD! I tend to use my Credit Card for "levelling" out the costs - easier and sometimes cheaper than a Bank Loan!

Quote:

" I have another project coming up that will definitely require a lav mic, wireless or no, because of a number of interviews I'll need to record. I'm leaning towards investing, Grazie. What setup do you have?

Well, I didn't "plan" my Tx/Rx mic purchase very carefully - for sure! I went with what was available at the time - I thought! This meant me staying with Senni. No problem there, apart from the Tx and Rx are powered by expensive PP9 batteries which don't have enough play time for me. The more recent G2 systems use the AA size battery AND they are cheaper too! Others will recommend ANYTIHNG but Senni, I can't advise, I don't have the experience of the full range of kit. BUT, if you quiz the Senni site you will see combinations of Tx/Rx system which includes a further reporters type mic. Now if I'd seen this - back 2002 AND I'd known what to do I would have been very tempted. I now have the Senni Evolution 100w Tx/Rx system PLUS a separately purchased reporter's mic WITH and extra TX Butt Plug. As I say, others have a different view of Senni kit.

Quote:

" Oh, and it is a GL2 and not an XM2, Grazie - not that it really matters, but just for your info.

You're in Athens? Correct? Isn't that PAL-land too? Why get the GL2 . .that's an NTSC? Don't understand?

Anyways, hope my bumbling experience will allow you to "carve" your way through this sometimes/often confusing, purchasing decision-making process?

Grazie

Steve Sirinides September 7th, 2005 01:57 AM

It is PAL-land, but it's also a land where GL2s sell for 2800 euros, or over $3000. Considering how cheap the GL2 is in the States, I just saved up from summer jobs and bought it on B&H while I was in New Jersey. Whenever I need to make a movie in PAL and NTSC (for sending back to the States, for example) I just transfer the video in post. I'll look at the Senni, and I'll also look into what Stu suggested. And, of course, I'll continue to comb the boards for more info. Thanks again, Grazie

Steve