DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recording wildlife sounds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/506914-recording-wildlife-sounds.html)

Ruth Happel April 13th, 2012 04:38 PM

Recording wildlife sounds

Since sound is an important part of filmmaking, I thought readers of this forum might be interested in a book written by my colleague Bernie Krause. It describes our field recording adventures around the globe in the 1980s and 1990s, and theories we developed on the development of collective vocal behavior and sound niches. The book will be featured on the cover of the New York Times Book Review this weekend. Although not specifically focused on the use of wildlife sound in film, it makes a plea for the recording and preservation of wildlife and their amazing vocalizations.

James Kuhn April 14th, 2012 10:05 AM

Re: Recording wildlife sounds

Ruth...thank you! What's the name of the book?

Regards,

J.

Ruth Happel April 14th, 2012 09:02 PM

James,

The name of the book is The Great Animal Orchestra. It is a synthesis of music and ecology, and has some interesting insights on wildlife recording. I hope you enjoy it!

best wishes,

Ruth

Tony Koretz April 18th, 2012 04:34 PM

Obviously it's not going to cover anywhere near the detail of a well written book, but I recently wrote a tutorial on the subject of recording birds, wildlife and nature sounds. It gives a bit of an overview on some techniques, microphone choices and the like. I will post a link to it here in case anyone is interested in reading it:
Recording Wildlife And Nature Sounds | Rocksure Soundz

John Willett April 19th, 2012 02:30 AM

The website of the WSRS - Wildlife Sound Recording Society is always a great resource.

It's also well worth being a member and membership is extremely inexpensive at only £29 for UK and EU and £39 for anywhere else.

Graham Bernard April 20th, 2012 01:47 AM

Thanks John. I watched Alan Burbidge's UT video. Totally charming and inspiring. I'm almost pushed to join up.

I liked the way he explained what it means for him. I learnt heaps from his quite disarming attitude to his passion.

Again, thanks John.

Grazie

Ruth Happel April 23rd, 2012 01:45 PM

Tony, thanks, I enjoyed your link, and site. You have a lot of good resources there.

I also enjoyed Alan Burbridge's video, with lot of good information and insights.

Ruth

Tony Koretz April 23rd, 2012 04:48 PM

Thanks Ruth. We are definitely aiming to try and have a good base of resources of music, sound effects and tutorials on the site. It's always nice to get good feedback on this stuff. Recording wildlife and nature sounds is fun, but can be challenging at times.

Ruth Happel April 27th, 2012 05:44 AM

Tony, you have some amazing sounds in your part of the world. One of these years I need to get there :)

In the meantime, thanks for the vicarious feel of being there, especially with your NZ ambience recordings.

Tony Koretz April 30th, 2012 05:34 AM

I have heard New Zealand described as a postage stamp version of the world. Certainly lots of natural beauty here, and well worth a look if you do get a chance to visit. Sometimes when things don't seem to be going so well in my week.........if I go for a walk on the beach or look at some mountains of green fields round about I think about how lucky I am to live in a slice of paradise!