flv to mp3 - why so hard? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Major Player

flv to mp3 - why so hard?

There's a song I just discovered on YouTube which I bought in 1999 but which I've long since lost, I got the album also and that too will be on the other side of the world. It's too rare to be available on iTunes so I figured i'd use my YouTube downloader to get the file and extract the audio using Wondershare Video Converter.

The song downloads in seconds but only as an flv file which Wondershare Converter does not seem at all happy or familiar with. I've changed the affix to .mp3 which has fooled my laptop into opening iTunes when clicked on but alas there is nothing there.

Any ideas folks?
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: flv to mp3 - why so hard?

If all else fails SoundSlug : Instantly save any audio you hear on your computer.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Brian, will try that.
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Trustee

According to the website, Sound Slug is "almost available" and you can only reserve one, not order one.

Besides, that records from the analog headphone output jack, so the sound has gone through a few stages of less-than-optimal analog electronics before you record it.

The better solution is to install Total Recorder Audio/Video Recorder, Editor, Converter. Capture streaming video and audio. which records the digital stream within your computer, before it gets converted to analog. You'll get a good clean recording of any audio stream going through your PC. This is a great program, which I've used for years with complete satisfaction. Registration has now climbed to the ungodly price of $18. USD. Get Total Recorder and never turn back.

(There is also a Pro edition, and a Video edition, neither of which you need for the purpose you describe. Just buy the Standard edition for now; you can always upgrade later if your needs change.)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I 2nd Total Recorder. Also used it for years and thru many computers. I love it, can't be without it. Great investment.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Trustee

Looking back, I see that I started with v.3 some time prior to 2000 (my download archives only go back that far). At that point, registration was $12. What a bargain for 12+ years of service! (They are now up to version 8.x.)

BTW, they never charge for an update. If you buy a given version (Standard, Pro, whatever) then you will have free updates to that version forever. Micro$oft, Adobe, and others sure don't offer a deal like that. Even if you never use the program, you should send in a check for $18 just to reward them for their ethics.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

There's also Audio Hijack Rogue Amoeba | Audio Hijack Pro: Record Any Audio On Mac OS X
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #8
Trustee

It is trivial with: clip.dj - online youtube to mp3 and mp4 converter
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use VLC player (VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!) with great results, plus it does a heck of a lot more.
Coral Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio