Updated dual wireless kit on allowed frequencies? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Updated dual wireless kit on allowed frequencies?

Hi all.

I was looking at getting a wireless kit. I have previous experience with the Sennheiser EW100 G2, so naturally looked at the G3. Seems like a great option.

However I really liked the look of the Audio-Technica kits, in particular the ATW-1821 dual wireless kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460224-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1821D_ATW_1821_Dual_Wireless.html).

I did a bit of research and I liked the idea of being able to run the two wireless mics off the one receiver. This is particularly useful when doing lav interviews, being able to mic myself to hear the question asked.

However on making some enquiries with Australian dealers, I was told the ATW-1821 won't be able to be used in Australia at the end of the year due to changes on which frequencies can be used. Apparently the Sony's are the same.

The dealers I've spoken to make it sound like the Senn G3 is my only option. Is there anything else available in this ballpark, price wise? I don't even know if the far dearer Lectros are included in being outlawed at the end of the year.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Updated dual wireless kit on allowed frequencies?

According to the web page you cited, the kit uses "UHF Band D: 655.500 to 680.375 MHz".

Is there some scheme to make wireless mics illegal on that band in Australia?
Suggest doing some independent research and get the info first-hand.

Of course most equipment like this is typically offered on a choice of different bands,
so just because "Band D" may become illegal (?), doesn't mean that A-T won't offer it in other bands.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good point Richard, I figured I should trust the people who are avoiding selling me something... my mistake ;-)

For those in Australia interested, here's the official word from ACMA: ACMA - Wireless microphones

Basics are that we can keep using wireless kits in the 520-694 MHz frequency range, which should include that A-T kit. No idea why they'd try and avoid selling...
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi again, Ryan.............

You may want to check what other services have been allocated to that frequency chunk for possible competitors.

From memory, when I was working in the business in Tasmania, that chunk used to be allocated to UHF TV.

If you've moved over to total digital, those frequencies would have been freed up for.............who?

It certainly won't have been dedicated to wireless mics, that's for sure.

You could find it a bit crowded in there if it's gone to the data transmission people - Blue Tooth, Mobile phones et all.

Could explain the reluctance of responsible dealers to sell gear that's going to have permanent channel problems.

Being allowed to use it is not the same as actually being able to, due to permanent interference problems.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Chris.

The frequency is currently used by analogue TV, but we still use it fine with the Senn G2 kit.

According to ACMA...
- Following the switch-over from analog to digital television, the range 694-820 MHz will be cleared
- 520-694 MHz will continue to be used by television, and it is expected that wireless audio equipment will continue to operate in this range under similar arrangements to the current LIPD licence

So they're expecting us to continue to be able to slot in between the TV networks.

The rest of the frequency they're clearing I think they're intending to auction off.

ACMA's recommendation is to buy gear with the widest possible frequency tuning abilities, but going off their web site if you buy gear that can be tuned in the 520-694 range you should be fine. I don't think they're going to use it for mobiles, bluetooth etc. (Isn't BT 2.4GHz anyway? I think Telstra use 820MHz)
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Ryan

Just also bear in mind that the website's last update was nearly a year ago!!! As Chris says it's not permission that's an issue but simply whether it's usable due to other devices on the same frequency as you have selected. Despite what they say, my Azdens which span from 794 to 805 have so far been completely interference free to date and I have had no interference on any channels. I did use their dual receiver however last season and had mega dropouts ..interference??? I have no idea at all but the system just wasn't practical at all!!! Just remember that your little transmitter signal is likely unlikely to block a digital TV signal but the TV signal could cause havoc with your receiver.

I suppose we will find out eventually once a more updated web page comes out but being the government it might take ages.... probably a better bet might be to snag a couple of used units on ebay and use them until things start to affect them so you are not out of pocket too much...I not sure if the dealers are getting their information from the same website but if they are, they will also be assuming very old information as well as us!!

What do we do??? watch and wait until things go wrong??? I bought my 3 Azden kits from the USA where the frequencies have already been banned so I paid almost nothing for them...technically we supposedly have until 2013!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Have a look at this thread...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...less-mics.html

I bought one of the units and it shows a lot of info if your into radio mic usage.....
I have 5x location radio mics in the 740-820 mhz and have had little or no problems in Adelaide.

At AAMI stadium on an AFL football event there are some 40+ radio mic / in ear frequencies used and many are in the band that will eventually go and normally there is very few problems at the moment IF the users stay on their allocated channels.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'll email ACMA and see if I can get an updated idea of what is happening.

Chris, your idea of second hand gear from the states sounds good. I'll look into what's available and see what is any good. Then by the time I need to replace them all the new gear will be out.

Thanks for that Brian. Never had any trouble with the Senn G2s, I'll see what's available. What are you doing at AAMI? Sounds like you have better luck with your mics than I have with my mobile!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Radio broadcasting..... All the soundo people from Radio, TV etc all get along very well.
Phone services on all networks are marginal on match days, data services are almost non existent in breaks of the match but during play it's a bit better.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio