Does a Sennheiser G2 transmitter work with a G3 receiver? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2015, 05:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Does a Sennheiser G2 transmitter work with a G3 receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
More power helps, but is not a panacea. Battery power can get you from earth to space, but megawatts might not give you a picture across town on your TV.
LOL

Megawatts will give you a picture on your TV across the country, if not the continent.

I presume you meant Milliwatts .....
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Many folks use an external scanner for frequency selection. The internal scanner on the G2/3 receiver is next to useless in a populated RF environment.
In lieu of an external scanner, the Sennheiser on-line frequency finder can help find frequencies clear of TV interference..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #18
New Boot

I've tried it and it doesn't work. But speaking of...do people on here that use G3's or G2's get crackling / static here and there? Most of the time it's good, but man, some of my weddings have really been adversely affected by static in the lapel mic. I run that on right Channel and don't give it phantom power because it's got batteries already...and then my Azden mic is on the left channel, and it's phantom powered. I film with Panasonic HMC-150's. But for some reason, I don't know why - because I'm more of a videophile than an audiophile - I get static here and there....very, very intermittent but sometimes it can happen right in the vows, just a quick crackle/blip and then it resolves...and then maybe a few minutes later. UGH! Anyone know how to solve this or what might be causing it?

Check out my website - I have a wedding sample on there (ours) for what it SHOULD sound like...but imagine in there a bit of crackle every now and then. Truly frustrating!

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves
Seattle Wedding Videography
Wedding Video | Seattle, WA Wedding Videographer
Ryan Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

"I've tried it and it doesn't work."
-- It does if the transmitter/receiver frequency is set the same. To do this, both units must be in the same channel block. The pilot tone should be set the same on both as well.
Much has been discussed about interference with the G2/3, (and others) search this and the DVX audio group.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Inner Circle

No John, I meant Megawatts (well almost) - we've had quite a lot of complaints in our area since the digital switchover where quite a few places in the City get quite poor reception - 0.7MW across all the multiplexes. 12 miles is a really long way - and this is with receive aerials with bags of gain - whereas line of site on UHF with 1W and a quarter wave to the space shuttle was trouble free. Power isn't everything.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #21
Major Player

John, do you turn off the pilot tone on the mono transmitter as well as the pilot tone on the IEM receiver? You didn't say to turn off the pilot tone of the mono transmitter, so I'm going to answer my question and say no, just turn off the pilot tone on the IEM. But I am wondering why you would need it on the transmitter if you are not using it on the receiver.

Are any of the belt pack G series transmitters stereo transmitters or compatible with the IEM receiver regarding the pilot tone?

Some people say the IEMs sound better than Comteks, which is what I use mine for.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 01:30 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Long time ago, but the pilot tone issue is only when using G1 kit. The transmitters did t use it, so on a receiver expecting it to open the audio path, they're silent. Since this topic started, I have had a little issue with multiple mics mixing G2 and G3. The latest ones can squeeze more channels into the same space, and as a consequence a G2 transmitter can mess up the frequencies the usual calculators suggest. It then takes some messing around to get intermodal free performance, but when using just a couple of channels, I pull kit out of the case and use it without reading the labels!

There are no portable battery operated stereo transmitters, only the mains powered ones. I do use my Sennheiser IEMs occasionally on the belt pack transmitters and that seems fine, and the Sennheiser IEMs work fine on Trantec IEM transmitters, but in mono. Their stereo systems being incompatible.

There are a number of Chinese IEM products available now, and watch out for these because they're pretending to be stereo, and they're not!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
There are a number of Chinese IEM products available now, and watch out for these because they're pretending to be stereo, and they're not!
Even the genuine product is not stereo if you're using the bodypack transmitter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio