DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   best audio format for secondary audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/507871-best-audio-format-secondary-audio.html)

David Morgan May 17th, 2012 09:16 PM

best audio format for secondary audio

Going to shoot a 1-1/2 hr show. Want to record a separate stand alone audio recording.

video system: Sony Ex-1r
If I shoot 1920 x 1080 60i, then the question becomes:

Using the tascam HD-P2 recorder, I can only record uncompressed. I will choose 48k , 16 bit. Can I expect this footage to be in sync? I have recorded DV shows for this length of time with great results. Just not HD footage.

Richard Crowley May 17th, 2012 09:34 PM

Re: best audio format for secondary audio

No way in the universe ANY independent recorder will hold sync for 90 minutes.
Not clear why separate sound is important here?
There are work-arounds if you MUST use double-system.

David Morgan May 17th, 2012 09:53 PM

well, I have done it in SD mode.
Anyway, I could output a downconverted signal and sync the Tascam with the video sync from this output. However, I'm not sure how the audio formats are going to jive

Richard Crowley May 17th, 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morgan (Post 1733865)
well, I have done it in SD mode.

Wow. That would be a true miracle. The collective wisdom is that modern non-synced equipment isn't good for more than 10-15 minutes at best.

Rick Reineke May 18th, 2012 10:57 AM

The stars, planets and gods in Dave's world must have been perfectly aligned.
For 'long form' recording, a master sync/word clock source is necessary.
Dave, why would you want anything other than uncompressed audio for acquisition?

Seth Bloombaum May 18th, 2012 01:31 PM

The Tascam HD-P2 is rather unique in that it includes a black burst / composite input that it will clock to on a continuous basis. In other words, excellent (timebase) sync to video is easy to achieve.

If you're able to get composite SD video out of your EX1 to the HD-P2 while shooting HD, you can expect good stability and syncability of your separate recording. In all such recordings, post sync is much easier to manage the better your camera and recorder audio content match.

T'wouldn't hurt to test, of course. Just start the dual recording, clap, let it run an hour, then clap again. See how the clips look on the timeline, it should be perfect.

16-bit 48KHz or better yet 24-bit 48KHz uncompressed would be the formats of choice for the audio recording.

Bill Warshaw May 18th, 2012 03:11 PM

I agree with Seth. Take composite from your camera for the HD-P2 to sync with, and record 48khz 24 bit for extra headroom. Clap at the beginning/end of the recording for sync marks that you can line up with the in-camera audio during post. I shoot 1080 24p HD on a Canon XH-A1 & HD-P2 like this and it works like a charm.

/BILLW

David Morgan May 20th, 2012 09:46 PM

yes I used "video sync" from the downconverted composite output of the EX-1r to the Tascam HD-P2. I had other issues however, posted in a separate post above. still trying to figure it out