DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Clip for Zoom H1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/507892-clip-zoom-h1.html)

Jeff Harper May 18th, 2012 01:39 PM

Clip for Zoom H1?

I received my H1 today and only then realized the issue of no clip for the device for use in a groom's or officiant's jacket pocket.

I googled this issue and found people using cell phone clips, but it meant gluing a post to the back of the Zoom, which I'd prefer not to do. Anyone have any better solutions?

Iker Riera May 18th, 2012 02:00 PM

Re: Clip for Zoom H1?

maybe a camera belt clip like this one:

http://www.cameratonic.co.uk/media/c...clip__01_2.jpg

Google "camera belt clip" and there are a lot of models, they're a simple belt clip with a 1/4-20 screw and quick release, should work well with the Zoom recorder.

Jeff Harper May 18th, 2012 02:09 PM

Thanks Iker, I'll look around! A cell phone clip is essentially the same thing but smaller, and may be what I need to go with, but would not work inside a jacket pocket, which I would prefer.

Greg Miller May 18th, 2012 08:50 PM

Of course if you want a recorder that will specifically live inside a jacket pocket, there are many choices that are smaller than the H-1.

Jeff Harper May 18th, 2012 11:12 PM

Name a couple for me Greg, please.

Mike Sims May 19th, 2012 08:53 AM

The H1 Accessory Package has a small padded case with Velcro attachment which might be of some use. I use mine to attach to my belt.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699406-REG/Zoom_H1AP_APH_1_Accessory_Package_for.html

Jeff Harper May 19th, 2012 08:56 AM

Thanks very much Mike. I do have the kit (came free, nice deal) but yeah, for a groom wouldn't work. I'm gonig to go to the store and look at cellphone clips later, might be the best solution.

Greg Miller May 20th, 2012 01:08 AM

Jeff,

My favorite is the Tascam DR-03. It can record .wav files at 44.1/48 kHz, 16/24 bits. It uses a micro-SD/SDHC card, has a USB port, and uses two standard alkaline or rechargeable AAA cells. Quite tiny and light, I often carry one in my shirt pocket "just in case" I encounter some "unplanned" audio that I'd like to record.

The DR-07 is noticeably larger but still pocket size. It uses standard SD/SDHC cards, uses two standard alkaline or rechargeable AA cells. It would be OK in a side (waist level) jacket pocket but might bulge a bit; I wouldn't want to put it in a breast pocket.

Sony has several lines that are small enough, but you need to check the specs because there is a lot of variation between models. The ICD-SX700 is a bit smaller than the DR-03 and might suffice, but its highest quality is 44.1/16, so you'd need to re-sample the files to 48/16 to be compatible with video.

I've seen ads for several others. Yamaha and Olympus come to mind as being fairly reputable, but I can't quote features and specs, so you'll need to do some research. I also bought an Alesis on closeout for $37.00, just out of curiosity; it's bigger than the DR-03 and is a bit disappointing in other ways. I find the DR-03 adequate for any "pocket size" applications I have. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their short list of favorites.

BTW, one disappointment is the fact that most of these machines have internal mics. Apparently the manufacturers think most people want to have a "one-piece recording studio." Unfortunately, the mics make the recorders larger than they would need to be otherwise... a bit of a drawback when you want to drop the recorder in a pocket.

Good luck with your quest, and let's hope a few other folks post additional suggestions.

Peter Riding May 20th, 2012 02:07 PM

I've heard of people using covers designed for Wii remote controllers.

Personally I modified a couple of old Lowepro mobile phone cases. Unfortunately that design is no longer in stock - is was narrow and thin whereas current smart phones are much wider. These are the ones I have:

Lowepro Phone Pouch 20 on sale at Ace Photo Digital Camera

I extended the flap by having velcro sewn onto it and its a perfect fit.

Worth getting if you can find them, but beware - the new version has virtually the same name but is much wider plus has a zip top fastening and is unsuitable. Good for a Blackberry though :- )

Pete

Rick Reineke May 20th, 2012 02:47 PM

I don't know about the UK, but on this side of the pond, a trip to your local 'Dollar Tree' or other dollar stores should yield plenty of dirt cheap options. In fact this afternoon I was to a 'Dollar Tree' and they had at least a hundred cell phone cases they would fit a H1 and other sized portable DARs. I even found some that fit my Comteks.

Tom Morrow May 21st, 2012 12:47 PM

Yep, I've used cheapo cell phone cases to clip my h1 to a belt. If you wanted to hide it on the body, you might look at the Remote Audio wireless pouch. Make sure to get the larger size.