DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Adjust gain on Sony UWP-V6? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/507997-adjust-gain-sony-uwp-v6.html)

Stefan Gill May 23rd, 2012 07:49 PM

Adjust gain on Sony UWP-V6?

Can anybody tell me how to adjust the input gain on the Sony UWP-V6 wireless lav mic? I am using this on a Canon XH-A1s, and it's WAY too sensitive.

I packed the instruction manual away with the original box, way up in the attic, and now I cannot find it :(

Is the gain adjusted on the lav or the Canon, sorry, I'm still new to this. I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks,

Stefan

Rick Reineke May 24th, 2012 09:57 AM

Re: Adjust gain on Sony UWP-V6?

You can find the manual here: Sony Product Detail Page UWPV6/4244
Normally.. level adjustments are made on the Transmitter, Receiver AND Camera. I don't have a UWP-V6 so I can't offer any specific settings, which generally vary from shoot to shoot anyway. However common practice is to scan for an open channels at every location.

Stefan Gill May 24th, 2012 01:11 PM

Hmm, the manual is not under any of the tabs, and the tutorial video is the same one I watched on youtube, shows everything but adjusting the gain.

Anybody else have an idea?

Thanks.

Stefan Gill May 24th, 2012 01:19 PM

Found this cool site with manuals,

Sony UWPV6/4244 | Operating Instructions

Steve House May 24th, 2012 04:15 PM

The general order of adjusting the gains would be first to set the audio into the transmitter so you have full modulation. Don't have the Sony or a manual handy but if the transmitter has a signal level meter you want it bouncing nearly full scale or its over-modulation indicator light should just (rarely) flicker on the very loudest peaks. The camera input preferably should be in the middle of its adjustment range. Adjust the receiver output level so your camera meter shows proper recording levels with the camera's audio input controls set near the center of their range when it's receiving a full-range signal from the transmitter.

Allan Black May 24th, 2012 06:09 PM

The Lav mic that came with the earlier UTX-B1 rig was terrible, it didn't even have a model number on it.
We bought the Sony ECM44BMP lavs which are a huge improvement.

If possible the day before, visit the location and check for any possible RF interference, especially around Bethpage and those Grumman studios :)

Also get a metal windscreen to avoid errant talent stepping on your lav. After finding a brand name battery just starting to leak,
now they're always removed after every shoot.

And we always run our XHA1S cams with their limiters switched on for wireless lav speech work, takes care of overshoots.

Cheers.