Correlating audio takes with Picture-Locked cut at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Correlating audio takes with Picture-Locked cut

I just did some audio post production for the first time on a narrative indie film. After having done lots of location sound, it's good to be in the editor's role and see how it feels to try and deal with what I normally provide.

It seems like the convention is for the audio post person to get:
- A picture-locked cut of the film, with a scratch (camera) audio track, often in quicktime format (audio and video flattened into a single track of each)
- Shot logs filled out by a PA on the shoot, saying which audio and video files go with what shoot/takes.
- All the separate audio files collected on set.

How do you go about figuring out which audio files to dig out for a particular scene? Is that something the picture editor is supposed to keep track of and give me? I suppose I could get a copy of the script with scene numbers and correlate that with the shot logs to get the audio file number, but that still wouldn't tell me which take ended up in the Pic-locked cut.

Just curious if there is a convention; I work with lots of first time filmmakers.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Correlating audio takes with Picture-Locked cut

In the many post jobs I've done, I've gotten the files in a OMF or AAF format with a ref. (locked) video, either on a disc, .mov, or whatever with a 'rough' mix The OMF/AAF has the EDL and audio files are embedded... usually. I've never got a camera mic 'mix', if I did, I'd tell em to get someone else if there's no corresponding TC. Even with a manual slate, that's the dialog editor/editor's job.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Correlating audio takes with Picture-Locked cut

Thanks Rick. I learned a new acronym: EDL for Edit Decision List. That's the missing link
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio