DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Loud rushing noise (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/508111-loud-rushing-noise.html)

Terry Wall May 28th, 2012 11:28 AM

Loud rushing noise

Good morning, and Happy Memorial Day, all! I searched through the audio forum and wasn't able to find the answer to my dilemma...forgive me in advance if I missed it, but here's my question for the day: I own 2 Senni 100 G2 ENG kits and I'm having a problem with the transmitter units of both kits. The problem stems from a loud rushing noise that seems to be triggered by a poor connection of the mic plug to the input jack on the xmtr. It is very loud and intermittent. Because I'm having a problem with both units, I'm wondering if this was a build problem. I've had nothing but good experiences with Senni gear, but this is quite a nuisance. I can get long passages of time without the loud rushing noise, but it returns when I least expect it ("Murphy's Law").

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice? I'm shooting some interviews tomorrow and can fall back to a shotgun on a boom pole if necessary.

Thanks, gang!
TW

Colin McDonald May 28th, 2012 12:05 PM

Re: Loud rushing noise

Interesting. Just trying a couple of tests with mine.

1. What happens when you run the TX with the mic unplugged completely?
Is there any signal on the TX display?
(I get 1/7 bars, funny, I thought there would be nothing at all. Disappears when MUTE is on though).

2.With mic still unplugged, does the RX display show the pilot but no signal?
(I get a full 7/7bars RF but 0/7 bars on AF. Can hear plenty white noise though a camera, again disappearing on MUTE). White moise is a kind of 'rushing sound' - like a waterfall.

3. Are both sets showing identical problems simultaneously, or does this show up in one at a time?

From what I found in 1 above, you might have a bad connection in a mic, but it seems unlikely that both sets would fail in the same way unless you have been doing something really bad with the mic cables when putting them away in storage.

Terry Wall May 28th, 2012 12:24 PM

Hi, Colin...how's things in Scotland today? My experience is the very same as your numbers 1 & 2. The rushing sound I'm getting is a fair bit louder...actually a crescendo of the sound, compared to "normal" white noise, which is fairly consistent. Re your #3, I didn't have both sets on at the same time, but experienced the sound issue with each one, separately. If I can stabilize the connection of mic to xmtr, I can minimize the errant sound...I'll try to find a way to work around.

Thanks, mate!
TW

Brian P. Reynolds May 29th, 2012 10:32 PM

I have several sets of G2 setups...Im trying to determine the noise you are talking about it could be a couple of things...

1. the frequencies might on the edge of another frequency coming from something RF in the area (radio /TV / or communications TX) Do a scan and change to another frequency group in the unit.

2. The Senni mics often fail about 2-3mm above the 3.5mm moulded plug, it often looks like a small swelling in the cable at that point it will also have a slight kink there also. The only way to fix it is to re-terminate the cable with a new connector.... because of the type of cable they use only do this if you are VERY competent at soldering.

Terry Wall June 1st, 2012 03:44 PM

Hi, Brian! You're right about the molded plug probably not being the best built in the world. I've noticed that if I wiggle it even gently, I'll get that noise. I've also found that If I screw down the locking collar as tight as I can with my hand, there's less likelihood of the noise. I was able to get through my interview job OK and I was able to keep "Mr. Murphy" in his cage. Thanks to you and Colin for the helpful feedback!

Cheers, mateys!
Terry

Brian P. Reynolds June 1st, 2012 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Senni locking plugs are often hard to find at times and when you do find them they aren't cheap... Standard 3.5mm stereo plugs can be used in an emergency (Im not advocating this as a permanent fix) just loop the cable through the TX clip to stop the connector being pulled out.

I have done a mock up with red cable so its easy to see.

The little bit of red heat shrink on the antenna is just to identify my units as TX / RX pairs, I have used red, blue, green, yellow, white.... makes life simple on location ;)