undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26

I want to upgrade from a Zoom H4N to a more professional field recorder. At first I considered the Edirol R-44 but after researching different field recorders I decided to go with something less expensive. I find it difficult to read the small led display on both field recorders but the 661 has a meter display for easy reading which for me is a big plus. I'm not sure which of the two has better preamps does anyone know? Has anyone used either device if so what do you think? Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26

Despite the 'at least' x2 price difference, Zoom's 4 trk.s ver. (sort of) Marantz 2-tracks and other design differences, IMO, pound for pound, the Marantz is a better recorder.. One may get the Marantz with the custom modified mic pres.. but it still ain't a SD..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
I find it difficult to read the small led display on both field recorders but the 661 has a meter display for easy reading which for me is a big plus. I'm not sure which of the two has better preamps does anyone know? Has anyone used either device if so what do you think? Thanks!
I have a Marantz PMD661. I am pretty happy with it overall. However, you mention the metering. My experience with it in bright sunlight is that you cannot see the main metering lights on the bottom of the recorder at all. In that situation they are pretty much useless, and I find I have to use the metering in the LED display panel instead. You can read that display ok, but setting it that way means you can't also see the recording time or any other display simultaneously. It's either or.
In anything other than bright sunlight however, the normal metering works well.
As for the preamps....they do a pretty good job..... more than adequate...but not quite up on a par with my studio preamps.
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks guys. so i'll probably get the Roland R-26. looks like it's the best deal for price/performance.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Kajito...before you make your purchase, do yourself a favor and take a look at Oade Brothers to look at their offerings. I've got one of their modified PMD661.

OADE BROTHERS AUDIO Field Recording Experts, Sony, Tascam, Marantz, Fostex, Compact Flash recorders

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Koretz View Post
it in bright sunlight is that you cannot see the main metering lights on the bottom of the recorder at all. In that situation they are pretty much useless, and I find I have to use the metering in the LED display panel instead. .
Just to clarify my earlier statement...I meant the metering at the bottom of the device was pretty much useless in bright sunlight, not that the whole recorder was useless!
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Major Player

hey Tony thanks that's what i understood. I know a lot of people use the 661. I decided to go with the R-26 cause like i said price/performance ratio and I heard it has the same preamps as the R-44. I'm picking one up today at B&H.
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Did a rough comparison of the R-26 and D-50 you might find interesting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...50-b-test.html

Geoff
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Major Player

I ended up getting the Roland R-44. except for the small LCD display which is a bit small i'm really loving this field recorder. Geoffrey thanks for the link i'll have a look at it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio