DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound libraries? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/508975-sound-libraries.html)

Evan Bourcier July 3rd, 2012 01:10 AM

Sound libraries?

Hey, do you guys know of/use any good sound effects libraries? There's been some stuff I either couldnt figure out or just rather wouldnt record myself, but most of what I've found online has been either low quality or really expensive. I figured if anywhere would have info on good places it'd be here! Mainly interested in cheap/free sounds, but really interested in anything you guys would recommend.

Thanks,
Evan

Les Wilson July 3rd, 2012 05:02 AM

Re: Sound libraries?

If you search on royalty free music, you'll find a lot of threads with links to various sites. Some music sites also provide sound effects. Royalty Free does not mean free. Ultimately, I think you'll find that good quality and cheap/free don't go together. Digital Juice has good products but I've only used their video products. Here's their Sound FX: Music & Sound FX by Digital Juice

Any more, I just shop for the sound effect I need. They aren't that expensive. Also, there's a bunch built into Soundtrack Pro if you use FCP 7.

Tom Morrow July 6th, 2012 02:33 PM

Good to know. I just happened upon this company which sells sound effect CDs at somewhat prices, at least much less than Hollywood Edge:

Sound Effects Library Main Menu | Sound Ideas

I can't vouch for them though.

Andrew Smith July 9th, 2012 08:59 AM

If you have a copy of Adobe Audition, there's quite a few GB of audio recordings (beds, foley, fx etc) that can be downloaded from Adobe Audition Content Download and the quality is absolutely pristine. Can't go wrong with starting with this content.

(will need your Adobe ID to sign in and accept the agreement)

Andrew

Evan Bourcier July 9th, 2012 09:26 AM

Thanks guys! I'll check them out!

Tony Koretz July 17th, 2012 02:17 AM

There are quite a number of good downloadable sound effects and sound sample sites out on the internet. Prices do vary quite a bit from site to site, as do the quality of the sounds. Our website is one that you may perhaps want to look at. As well as sfx it also has royalty-free music on it. While most of the downloads aren't free, there actually is a "free" section on there too. We will have a major site update in the very near future ( possibly later this week), with the adiition of about 4,000 new sfx and several hundred new songs.
Rocksure Soundz | Royalty Free Music, Sound Effects, Production Music New Zealand

Chris Barcellos July 17th, 2012 04:21 PM

Try Soundsnap.com

Richard Crowley July 18th, 2012 09:27 AM

I like Sound Dogs. Good selection, good indexing, online preview, instant download in your choice of quality, format.
Download Sound Effects | SoundDogs.com

Jim Stamos July 19th, 2012 01:15 AM

you need to check out videoblocks.com
i bought a year membership through videoguys for 99.00. this has alot of good production music, stock footage, graphic backrounds, all in HD, sound fx, after fx templates, and other goodies. whatever i download in the year i keep, even if i cancel. theyve got some great stuff. just finished my first 35 minute short film and i used alot of stuff from them for it, especially the music, which can make a huge difference in your project. good luck, sounddogs is great as well and its free, used some car crash sound fx from there

Andrew Smith July 19th, 2012 06:18 AM

I'm principly against Videoblocks as just about every video related mailing list has been flogging them (and their seven day trial with your CC details) at me way too many times. If there was something I am likely to do a rant about, they're at the top of the list.

Andrew

Jim Stamos July 19th, 2012 11:36 PM

well they have great stuff, ive more than made my 99.00 back on that deal

Tom Morrow July 29th, 2012 09:03 PM

Andrew, I couldn't quite understand your complaint about videoblocks. Is it that they spam you with marketing materials?

Andrew Smith August 21st, 2012 12:11 AM

It was mainly that all the other newsletters / mailing lists / man+dog were flogging it. Even VideoGuys. It was pushed pretty hard and you just got sick of it.

Andrew

Paul R Johnson August 21st, 2012 01:53 AM

For me the most useful collection has been Hollywood Edge - quite expensive to buy, but with while!

Andrew Smith August 21st, 2012 06:40 AM

In radio production, the Hollywood Edge production music was the collection we aspired to have ... and eventually did. Top notch content.

Andrew