Remote Audio g3 line level cable behaves as mic level? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Remote Audio g3 line level cable behaves as mic level?

I've got a weird situation. I purchased the Remote Audio cable designed for connecting my G3 transmitter to the line level output of my mixpre:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766162-REG/Remote_Audio_CASENSK100XL24_Remote_Audio_Wireless_Cable.html
and it does not pass a line level signal. I purchased it to use like the Sennheiser CL2 cable, but shorter (I don't need or want the length of the CL2).

The CL2 cable that I have successfully passes a line level signal from the mixpre to my g3 sk100 transmitter; the 0dBu test tone peaks the g3 with a Sensitivity setting of -33 (right in the middle of the 0 to -60 range).

But the RA cable gives a much weaker signal (or none at all for my purposes): the meter on the sk100 only goes up to 60% with the same 0dBu done, with SK100 Sensitivity set to 0 (much higher). I can get the same 60% level on the SK100 with the Sensitivity set to -51. So in other words this cable seems to be effectively reducing the line level signal to weak mic level.

Using an ohmeter, I found that the CL2 connects the tip of the 1/8" (presumably the line level connection) to XLR 1 and 3, whereas the RA cable does not have such a connection.

Here are the connections that I determined with a continuity tester:

RA: XLR 1(-) and 3(Shield) -> 1/8 Sleeve, and XLR 2(+) -> 1/8" Ring

CL2: XLR 1(-) and 3(Shield)-> 1/8 Sleeve and Tip, and XLR 2(+) -> 1/8" Ring

John Willet said what the wiring should be in an older post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1707344

Quote:
A line level input is connected to the ring and sleeve and the tip is shorted to the sleeve
Because the CL2 does short the tip, while the RA cable does not, I think the RA cable is miswired. It neither grounds the ring nor the tip, one of which seems to be required to be grounded to tell the SK100 what type of signal it's getting.

I actually shipped it back to RA under warranty and they verified that it was wired the way they thought it should be wired, and a subsequent phone conversation with RA indicated that they wired it this way because it was somehow better for compatibility with both g2 and g3 systems (I couldn't understand why).

At any rate, I'm about to return this cable to B&H, but before I leave a negative rating for this cable I thought I'd ask if anyone can make sense of this.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remote Audio g3 line level cable behaves as mic level?

I have Sennheiser G2 systems and this if from the handbook .... it might help your problem.

I tried to load a pic but wouldnt let me as it was used in another thread..... So here is the link to that thread...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ansmitter.html
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

So temporarily put a jumper between tip and sleeve and see if that fixes the issue.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Brian. I think the issue is that they left that microphone input (tip) floating while applying signal to the line input (ring); the tip should be grounded. Letting it float might work on g2 but not my g3 depending on the input circuitry.

Steve's idea of just testing with a jumper is good, but the RA cable has shrinkwrap around the 1/8 soldering that I would have to remove, which would make returns problematic. All indications are that it would work. The challenge would be fitting a sleeve-tip jumper into the already crowded 1/8" barrel. Hmm, that turns me off since I'd be worried about shorts.

I think I'm better off just getting another CL2 and accepting the extra length.
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

or, try Eric Toline in Florida.

He's a soundie and makes custom cables.

audioetc@bellsouth.net

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Major Player

I did figure out a way to test shorting the sleeve to the tip on the RA cable and indeed that seemed to solve the problem. The levels came up to what the CL2 was doing. Seems pretty clear that the g3 needs that tip grounded to indicate/accept line level.

But I don't want to try to fix this RA cable by adding a jumper... it's hexed for me and is going back, can't look at it anymore.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
I've got a weird situation. I purchased the Remote Audio cable designed for connecting my G3 transmitter to the line level output of my mixpre:

Remote Audio Remote Audio Wireless Cable CASENSK100XL24 B&H

and it does not pass a line level signal. I purchased it to use like the Sennheiser CL2 cable, but shorter (I don't need or want the length of the CL2).

The CL2 cable that I have successfully passes a line level signal from the mixpre to my g3 sk100 transmitter; the 0dBu test tone peaks the g3 with a Sensitivity setting of -33 (right in the middle of the 0 to -60 range).

But the RA cable gives a much weaker signal (or none at all for my purposes): the meter on the sk100 only goes up to 60% with the same 0dBu done, with SK100 Sensitivity set to 0 (much higher). I can get the same 60% level on the SK100 with the Sensitivity set to -51. So in other words this cable seems to be effectively reducing the line level signal to weak mic level.

Using an ohmeter, I found that the CL2 connects the tip of the 1/8" (presumably the line level connection) to XLR 1 and 3, whereas the RA cable does not have such a connection.

Here are the connections that I determined with a continuity tester:

RA: XLR 1(-) and 3(Shield) -> 1/8 Sleeve, and XLR 2(+) -> 1/8" Ring

CL2: XLR 1(-) and 3(Shield)-> 1/8 Sleeve and Tip, and XLR 2(+) -> 1/8" Ring

John Willet said what the wiring should be in an older post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1707344

Because the CL2 does short the tip, while the RA cable does not, I think the RA cable is miswired. It neither grounds the ring nor the tip, one of which seems to be required to be grounded to tell the SK100 what type of signal it's getting.

I actually shipped it back to RA under warranty and they verified that it was wired the way they thought it should be wired, and a subsequent phone conversation with RA indicated that they wired it this way because it was somehow better for compatibility with both g2 and g3 systems (I couldn't understand why).

At any rate, I'm about to return this cable to B&H, but before I leave a negative rating for this cable I thought I'd ask if anyone can make sense of this.
For a G3 the tip *has* to be shorted to the sleeve for the line input, as this operates the internam switch (and for a mic. the ring has to be shorted to the sleeve).

With the G2 it was not so important - but the G3 requires the short.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio