Smartest wireless mic setup for DSLR video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Smartest wireless mic setup for DSLR video

Hey guys, looking to build out my kit for a few upcoming weddings and want to take the plunge into a decent wireless mic setup. What's the general consensus on mid level wireless packs/mics? Not necessarily looking for the cheapest possible, but not looking to waste money either, just get something solid that'll deliver good results.

Thanks,
Evan

EDIT: Also, what would you guys recommend for a smaller portable external recorder? I've used an H4n but it's kinda bulky and hard to keep around sometimes, what's the consensus on something like an H1n?
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Smartest wireless mic setup for DSLR video

Sennheiser would be a good choice. I've got the G3 kit and it works pretty good.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Would that be this setup? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618739-REG/Sennheiser_EW_112P_G3_A_EW112_p_G3_Camera_Mount.html
How do you run from the receiver to either a recorder or the camera if it's on your belt?

Thanks,
Evan
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Trustee

usually transmitter is on the belt, and receiver is paired with the field recorder, or camera, depending on your setup, certainly you can keep it on the belt, but with the longer cable, not sure if it'll be convenient for the shooter.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Trustee

The wireless kit comes with a shoe mount adapter so you can mount it easily on the shoe on your camera.
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post

EDIT: Also, what would you guys recommend for a smaller portable external recorder? I've used an H4n but it's kinda bulky and hard to keep around sometimes, what's the consensus on something like an H1n?
Since the rest of the thread addressed the other parts fine, I'll take a stab here. If you'll only be using one wireless device, you could go pretty small on this, something like a Tascam DR-40, or the Edirol R-09HR (pretty much only has onboard mics and 1/8" input). If you want multiple inputs, the Tascam will still deliver, but you'll be limited to recorders that have multiple inputs, which gets bulky.

Your h4n honestly is pretty solid for your application, and maybe a bit big, but there's not a lot of quality devices out there much smaller. You might reconsider upgrading the recorder until you really need multiple inputs, and do a big jump to an Edirol R-44 or something.

Hope that helps!
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Trustee

I have used a Tascam DR-03 with pretty good results. It is quite small, light, and thin enough to fit in a jacket pocket without too much of a bulge. Certainly a better form factor than an H1.

Unfortunately, I think the DR-03 is now discontinued. However, there's a very similar model, which is in fact better for your application because the mics are within the contour of the recorder, whereas the DR-03 mics protrude slightly. The newer model is the Tascam PR-10.

Sweetwater Music had them on sale over July 4 for $49, including shipping. They extended the sale by several days, but it might have ended by now. If you have any possible interest, I'd suggest checking ASAP before the sale ends (or they sell out).
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey, $50 sounds awesome but there's a lot of really nasty reviews on Amazon, stuff like battery drain... It's still possible to get a DR-03 on Amazon for $60 used or $78 new though...
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Tascam DR-05 recorder works great for me, and can record directly from a g3. Only thing to be careful of is don't delete any files otherwise you may get corruption.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio