Bets way to mic with this setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bets way to mic with this setup?

Hello,

I will be shooting a sit down interview by myself and for audio I have a shotgun mic (ME-66) and I'm planning on using a mic stand to support it. The room is 10 x12, and I plan on framing the subject in a close up, so I can get the mic as close to them as possible without being in frame.

With this setup what is the best way to mic, from overhead or slightly off camera axis pointing directly at their mouth?

Thank you
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Bets way to mic with this setup?

Without seeing/hearing the room and your camera angles, there is no way to predict this. It is easy enough to move the microphone to all the alternate positions during setup to hear the results for yourself. Of course, you are using good headphones to monitor the audio at all times (including during setup).
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Major Player

I tend to favor the overhead mic position. Sometimes a low and close mic will get accidentally knocked about by the talent when they gesture. That being said, I also take into account the surfaces towards which the mic is pointing. If there is an A/C vent in the ceiling, I don't want to point the mic upwards. When you have a carpeted surface, overhead mics should pic up less echo. If I have a very 'live' sounding room, I'll toss a moving blanket on the ground and maybe another one off-camera on a boom stand to absorb some of the reflected sound.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hello Joe,

If the 10 x 12 is mostly hard walls, ceiling and floor, you have your work cut out for yourself.

Bring some sound blankets and hand them just out of frame. Put one or two on the floor.

Shotguns are not indicated for indoor use, the above will reduce the off-axis mess and slappiness.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A shotgun mic might not be ideal in that situation. Plenty of good advice has already been given so I won't add much to it, ecxcept to say that having a hypercardioid condenser mic, a handheld dynamic mic (RE50 or similar),and a lav in a kit to cover all secenarios would be ideal.
Tony Koretz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio