Mic'ed Up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Mic'ed Up

Does anyone know what kinds of mics they use to mic up athletes during sporting events? I am brainstorming for a documentary right now and am considering doing something like this but need pointed in the right direction on how to do it.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mic'ed Up

Tram 50's, Countryman B6's, Sanken COS11's are all pretty popular depending on what the production house uses. The B6's are the smallest, the Trams are probably the most rugged.
As for mic paks (transmitters) the Lectro SMV Super-Miniature Transmitter seems to be pretty popular. small, rugged fairly easy to put most anywhere.
Now having said that, if you're talking about football (US style) then you might think about wrapping the mic pak in a bit of foam and securing it somewhere in the shoulder pad where it would get some protection and not pinch into the player. They have a tendacy to get a bit ornery when that happens.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Major Player

This would be for baseball so no real worry about person to person contact. One of the people I was thinking of wiring up is a pitcher though so small and discreet is key. I can't afford to have it getting in the way of his mechanics.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ok well for baseball I might use a Tram 50 or a Countryman B6. Both have long enough cable (about 4 feet) to allow placing the mic pak somewhere where it won't get in the way.
I would have to think his waist on the belt behind him. The SM transmitter from Lectro is a good size for that. I can't think of any other mic pak smaller. Of course the Lectro transmitter needs a Lectro receiver to go with it. Looking about $2K maybe a few more depending on which receiver you opt for. 400 or 411. Plus the mic. You could use the M152 mic which comes with many of the Lectro sets and honestly isn't bad at all. Probably comprable to the Tram.
HTHs
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Mark,

What are you trying to pick up? A lot of athletes don't like to have anything they are not use to attached to them. For a pitcher, the extra weight of the transmitter or even the slight tension between the lav and receiver might be a distraction to them. You would need to discuss it with the athlete.

You might consider using a parabolic dish such s this one:

Jony JonyShot Parabolic Microphone Dish JONYSHOT B&H Photo Video
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Major Player

So for something like this, would the best be to try and tape the mic onto the inside of the jersey? I can't imagine that a little mic clip would hold up to all that movement. But then gain, I can't imagine tape would hold up to the movement or the moisture from sweat either.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

FWIW and AFAIK, in MBL the players are not mic'd at all, rather the mics are planted.. hidden in/under the bases amongst other areas. In the NFL, some of the key players are mic'd, with a mic/transmitter in the shoulder pads or helmets.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

YOu might use a 'vampire clip' with a small piece of gaff tape not duct tape to hold it in place. Usually baseball players wear some sort of shirt under the jersey so that's where I would place the mic. As Garrett said though, leave lots of slack. Pitchers espically asre twitchy anyway so give all the slack you can.
Maybe you could find a high school or jr. college pitcher you could practice mic placement on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio