Tether 7D to NX5U for sound recording (?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tether 7D to NX5U for sound recording (?)

Greetings,
Canon 7d And Sony NX5U because that's what I use, but it's in fact a generic question, I suppose...
The question: can we get good quality sound by linking a DSLR to a camcorder, cable going from the mic input on the DSLR to ... on the camcorder? Would the output used to plugin earphones would be of suffucient quality?
If possible that would bring quality sound to the DSLR, and help saving time with sound sync in post.
Someone tried that in real world situation?
I know, I could do a setup, get a subject, shoot, go to a computer, etc... But it's faster to go straight to the keyboard and ask people who know...

L
Luc Novovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tether 7D to NX5U for sound recording (?)

You cannot send a line level signal, which is what a headphone output would deliver, into an input that is designed for mic levels without overloading the input and creating serious distortion. It would not bring quality sound to the DSLR. In fact, just the opposite; it would most likely give you much WORSE results.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well... that takes care of that.
So will use a mike on the 7d and sync in post.
Thank you for the prompt answer.

L
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Trustee

You could kludge an attenuating cable solution, but what's the point? There is no way of connecting that will get you "good quality sound" recording on any DSLR. Just use the built-in mic for sync and keep your life simple.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

"Just use the built-in mic for sync and keep your life simple."

Thanks Richard. Makes sense and it does look like the simplest solution. After my last post I checked on what may work for me, and trying to make a DSLR do something it is not really designed for is just calling for more problems. Looked at PluralEyes, and also a simple way posted online to sync multiple sources in Premiere Pro (Multicamera Improvements - Lesson - one could also use a clapboard...).
So I should focus on recording the best sound possible on the NEX5U and then sync.

L
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Many use an attenuating cable (pad) to knock down the HP/line level to mic line level, then use the camera's reference track audio to re-sync the 'good' audio back in post manually or by using "Pluraleyes" Singular Software - PluralEyes . Cables can bought (Sescom) Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON 3.5mm Line to Mic with 25dB Attenuator for Zoom H4N with Headphone Monitoring Jack or a DIY made cable.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio