question bout blimps - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: question bout blimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
But have you compared to to a Rode or Rycote? I do large sporting TV Outside Broadcasts on a weekly basis and the ebay windscreens are "chalk and cheese" compared to others. For a few $$ more you can get MUCH better.
Rode blimp in NZ is about $NZ500. Rycote (depends which blimp set you get) would land in NZ for around $NZ850. I landed my Indian blimp to my door for around $NZ150 as I recall. I call that "chalk and cheese"...especially when it cuts all the wind off the mic and is not used that much. :-)
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I've got a Rode Blimp setup and it has absolutely saved my butt many times. Always bring it with me to a shoot. Yes, even indoor shoots. Another good choice would be the Rycote S-Series Kit.
The Rycote S-series has a much better suspension than the Røde.

Rycote have also heavily researched the Windjammer (it *is* a Rycote invention, after all) to give the required wind protection with minimum high frequency loss. I do know lot more than I am saying, but cannot pass on proprietary information told to me in confidence.
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #18
Trustee

And that's one thing that a lot of people don't understand. There's just a little bit more science to successful wind and handling noise reduction than any old bit of fur and some elastic bands. How many posts do you see on these forums where someone just wants fur to cover a microphone? All it does is "look a little bit like a wind protector".

Not to mention durability - Rycote gear is really well built, built to last in a broadcast application. I'm not sure the Indian knock-offs would be so robust.

I mentioned before my direct comparison with Rode's blimp and my Rycote S-Series wind shield. The Rode Blimp worked fine, but it was bigger, bulkier and less elegant (i.e. elastic bands, using screwdrivers to adjust the mounts on the rails, clumsy wee-bit-of-rubber cable connection). In the UK at least, it's the same price as the Rycote S-Series.

If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, Rycote must be very flattered indeed.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Trustee

It seemeth to me regarding durability, that blimps of whatever make are pretty fragile things and need to be treated with care. Standing on any blimp will crush it no matter who makes it. My Indian blimp seems to me to be pretty well made, and treated with care - as all blimps need to be treated - I don't see why it shouldn't last a good long time.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Have you guys checked out the Rycote mini screen Miniscreen™ » Rycote
I have used one for about 18 months, amazing wind cut, even on the north Cornwall cliffs, with a gail blowing.
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #21
Trustee

Colin,

I use that on-camera, with my Sony mic. I added the furry cover too (I forget the name of it). Excellent piece of kit.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
It seemeth to me regarding durability, that blimps of whatever make are pretty fragile things and need to be treated with care. Standing on any blimp will crush it no matter who makes it. My Indian blimp seems to me to be pretty well made, and treated with care - as all blimps need to be treated - I don't see why it shouldn't last a good long time.
That's not all of it - do they understand the science of plastics and glues?

Not fully understanding this can mean a blimp just falling apart after a couple of years due to UV damage or heat/cold, etc.

There is a *lot* more to making these than people think.

A lot more than I used to think, before I talked to the designers of such things.
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Have you guys checked out the Rycote mini screen Miniscreen™ » Rycote
I have used one for about 18 months, amazing wind cut, even on the north Cornwall cliffs, with a gail blowing.
A Rycote MiniScreen with it's Windjammer is actually about 5dB better than a Rycote Softie - and it's cheaper. ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio