question bout blimps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Major Player

question bout blimps

just finished my first film, when i was outside used the foam mic cover and the fuzzy over that. whats the concept behind using a blimp and what situations do you use it with or over the other options
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: question bout blimps

A blimp creates a space of still air around the mic. Moving air (wind basically) that blows over the mic tip is what causes the low rumble and noise. creating this area of dead air lowers or eliminates the noise and rumble caused by wind. For additional protection placing a furry over the blimp will further reduce the wind noise in extreme situations.

For most outdoor shoots I have blimp with furry. There is very little difference or loss in sound quality due to the wind protection and you can't control when the wind will come up in the middle of a take. The major disadvantage is that it is larger than just the mic with a foam over it so you're a little further from your subject.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Major Player

So u don't use them indoors
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
So u don't use them indoors
Not usually, unless there is a fan or some other device creating a breeze. I usually do use some kind of smaller wind screen even in doors. Something like a foam screen or a softie like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207238-REG/Rycote_033052_Standard_Hole_Softie_Windscreen.html

It's more for extra protection in case the mic has to moved quickly or a something creates some wind. It's better to take a bit of precaution than to have to do ADR. I don't usually use a blimp indoors because of the size as well as the extra weight. with lower ceilings and cramped spaces that most interior shots require, the possibility of hitting the blimp against something increases. That would ruin the sound on that take. Also, your boom operator will appreciate not having the extra weight.
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Also when the weather is windy and you're planning to use your your Blimp outdoors, it's a good idea to pull the Wombat on before you go out.

http://www.rodemic.com/accessories/blimp

To lose shots and stop to install it because the gusts get worse is a pain. The Wombat is included when you buy the Blimp.

If you get caught without the Blimp when the wind gets up, try and work with your shotgun at right angles to the direction the wind is coming from.

btw It was a stroke of marketing genius when Rode named their Blimp the 'Blimp', that name has gone into general usage and audio folklore, see above :)

Cheers.
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #6
Trustee

If this was the tripod forum, there'd be a disclaimer like "* other wind shield brands are available"! <grin>

I use a Rycote S Series now, performance-wise I find it the same as my previous Rode Blimp. It's also more compact, and I find it it a bit more elegant. Plus, I find the Lyre mountings for the mic are much better than the rubber bands in other brands. (i.e. quicker, easier to use, hold the mic more securely... I can also adjust the location of the clips for different lengths of mic without a screwdriver).

No wrestling with medium-sized deceased marsupials needed either!

It's even roughly the same price as the Rode offering, at around £200 in the UK.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; July 24th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
If this was the tripod forum, there'd be a disclaimer like "* other wind shield brands are available"! <grin>
Also... :-)
60cm Blimp Windscreen Windjammer Windshield Fur Cover for microphone mic | eBay
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I regularly use old and new Rycote covers, rod'e covers, and bought one of those on ebay and my opinion is it is a very poor excuse for a windshield, a VERY daggy 20y.o Rycote is still better than one of those.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Major Player

I use foam almost all the time even indoors, as mic protection mainly, although it also helps with occasional drafts such as a surprisingly strong draft I once found over a birthday cake with candles.

Blimp only outdoors when I start to hear wind in the mic.

Those Rode Softie thingies are halfway-solutions that give you protection between a foam and a blimp. Personally not my thing, although many people like them if they can't afford a blimp.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The Softies work OK on a 'breezy' day, but when the wind kicks up, a Zepplin type screen is needed. I prefer using the smaller and lighter Softie, but ...
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Any solution has to be better than my historical use of Rio walk socks freshly removed from my feet, one shoved inside the other, rolled up in a bunch with a loose floppy end for the sound to get in through.

Worked well but my shoes were very smelly for a while thereafter from sweaty feet.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
I regularly use old and new Rycote covers, rod'e covers, and bought one of those on ebay and my opinion is it is a very poor excuse for a windshield, a VERY daggy 20y.o Rycote is still better than one of those.
I trialed mine in front of a 600mm fan going full bore and it cut all wind sound...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I trialed mine in front of a 600mm fan going full bore and it cut all wind sound...
But have you compared to to a Rode or Rycote? I do large sporting TV Outside Broadcasts on a weekly basis and the ebay windscreens are "chalk and cheese" compared to others. For a few $$ more you can get MUCH better.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
Major Player

I would absolutely suggest the Rode Blimp. $299 will go a long way and certainly worth it when you're in need. And with the wombat fur over it, you're not going to get any trouble from a strong wind.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Trustee

I've got a Rode Blimp setup and it has absolutely saved my butt many times. Always bring it with me to a shoot. Yes, even indoor shoots. Another good choice would be the Rycote S-Series Kit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio