DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Field Mixer/Recorder setup issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/509837-field-mixer-recorder-setup-issues.html)

Paul Robinson August 7th, 2012 03:02 AM

Field Mixer/Recorder setup issues

Hello,

Im trying to put together a small field audio recording setup. We have just shot a film and i want to now go back to locations and record some extra audio etc.

I have a beachtek DXA-6VU that i used to use on a camera, i have put the with my zoom h1.

The level though is so quiet. I have the channel volume on the beachtek full and the input volume on the zoom full and im hardly getting any level??

The mic is fine, as i have tried that on my camera. all cable work.

Is it something to do with the beachtek outputting a mic level and the zoom accepting line?

Any help would be great!

Steve House August 7th, 2012 05:02 AM

Re: Field Mixer/Recorder setup issues

The Beach is definitely sending a mic level. If your Zoom's input is set for line level you'll be lucky to record anything at all. But I've been looking at the Zoom's manual online and although the external input is labelled "Mic/Line" there's no indication of how it is switched from one to the other or even IF it's switchable so Lord only knows what level it's really expecting.

Greg Miller August 7th, 2012 07:24 AM

A few basic questions:

• Are the BeachTek input switches set to "Mic" position and phantom turned on if needed?

• Are you getting good level through the BeachTek, as shown by its LED level indicators?
• If not, what happens when you disconnect the BeachTek from the Zoom? Does that change the level on the BeachTek?

I concur with Steve, there is nothing in the Zoom "instruction sheet" (I won't glorify it by calling it a manual) that indicates how, or even if, you can switch input gain between mic and line.

I also note that the Zoom "literature" mentions that the input jack provides "plug-in" power. That DC might possibly have an adverse effect on the output circuitry of the BeachTek. I can't make a definitive statement about that, but don't overlook it as a possibility... perhaps someone else can say for certain.

Jay Massengill August 7th, 2012 09:17 AM

What mic or mics are you using with the BeachTek?

Which camera did you use originally with these mics?

Is the 9v battery in the BeachTek known to be good?

If using one mic with the BeachTek set to MONO, then both level controls must be up full.

I doubt the plug-in power is causing a problem since the BeachTek is designed to defeat this when used with cameras that can't switch it off. However you should switch it off if possible on the H1 for sources that don't need it. Switching it off eliminates the chance of it causing noise if the mini plug moves and will lengthen your battery life in the H1.

As mentioned it's critically important that both switches on the BeachTek be set to MIC.