DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Easy sound treatment? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/510469-easy-sound-treatment.html)

Rafael Lopes September 5th, 2012 12:15 PM

Easy sound treatment?

Guys, please donīt start throwing rocks yet....but is there some sort of moderately effective AUTOMATED sound cleaner software out there? Preferably free. I donīt really have the ear to distinguish all the small subtleties required for a good manual sound treatment and due to my projects' dimensions I donīt think hiring a post production sound technician is really necessary.

P.S - I work with Premiere

Jon Fairhurst September 5th, 2012 01:05 PM

Re: Easy sound treatment?

Check out GoldWave. You sample some quiet audio from the clip and the software estimates the noise. Then apply it to the whole clip. There is one control where you can adjust the amount of sound reduction that you want. It's pretty easy. When the voices sound "underwater", you have too much NR. When you hear too much noise, you have too little NR.

Rafael Lopes September 5th, 2012 01:07 PM

Thanks, bud. Iīll give it a try :)

Richard Crowley September 5th, 2012 02:21 PM

A great deal depends on exactly what sort of problem(s) you are trying to mitigate. Your question is so vague that it seems unlikely you will get any response that you will find really useful.

Consider at least posting a sample of the problem recording so that we can hear it.

Rafael Lopes September 5th, 2012 02:32 PM

Youīre right, my question is very vague as I have next to no knowledge at all about audio.
What I can do is a come up with a metaphor using photography. Even though there isnīt a button that will make the RAW image perfect the way you want there is the AUTO option on most RAW developers that will get the image at least closer to what a perfectly exposed image should be...and then you can take from there towards your personal style. Is there such a thing for sound?

Greg Miller September 5th, 2012 02:57 PM

Don't worry about coming up with the right metaphor. Just post a sample of the audio.

Geoffrey Cox September 5th, 2012 03:21 PM

Taking your metaphor I don't think there is a product that does for sound what you describe for photography. And how you chose to deal with the problem really does depend on the nature of the problem.

The software Jon suggests can work in some situations. It can also be useless. Judicious use of audio filters (that come with all NLEs and audio software) is often helpful.

Tom Gresham September 6th, 2012 11:37 AM

Soundsoap?

Rick Reineke September 6th, 2012 12:21 PM

SoundSoap? Maybe but BIAS, Inc "ceased operation" recently. (a month or two ago)

"BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations. We would like to thank all the BIAS customers and friends for the opportunity to have served the audio community for over 16 amazing years.
The BIAS Authorization Manager Server is functioning for authorizing and de-authorizing BIAS products at this time."

Richard Crowley September 6th, 2012 12:40 PM

We are doing a disservice to Mr. Lopes suggesting audio applications at random. It seems VERY likely (at least IMHO) that he can NOT do what he wants to do with ANY of the suggested software apps. Until he posts a sample somewhere where we can hear it, we are all shooting in the dark and wasting everyone's time.

Mr. Lopes. There is no practical comparison between what you can do with images (still or moving) and what you can do with audio. Nothing but hearing an actual sample of the problem track will allow us to give you any useful advice. By your own admission you are unable to describe exactly what the problem is. Fortunately it is easy to post a sample somewhere so we can hear it and give you the benefit not only of our evaluation of the problem, but also practical advice on what you can do about it.