DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New SD Mixer/Recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/510495-new-sd-mixer-recorder.html)

Garrett Low September 6th, 2012 10:37 AM

New SD Mixer/Recorder

Oh man, did Sound Devices really just do this:

The 664 Field Mixer | Sound Devices, LLC
and
664 Mixer Introduction Video - YouTube

It sounds like the all in one audio device is about to be unleashed. A true quality mixer with a recorder built in. It even as TC and can act as a master timecode generator?

Chris Medico September 6th, 2012 11:23 AM

Re: New SD Mixer/Recorder

That looks sharp!

Brian P. Reynolds September 6th, 2012 11:50 AM

WOW.....(jaw drop)

Greg Penetrante September 6th, 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1751652)
Oh man, did Sound Devices really just do this:

The 664 Field Mixer | Sound Devices, LLC
and
664 Mixer Introduction Video - YouTube

It sounds like the all in one audio device is about to be unleashed. A true quality mixer with a recorder built in. It even as TC and can act as a master timecode generator?

Looks really juicy.

But what happens to their 7 series? Perhaps we'll see an update to those as well.
I hope this is priced below the 788t.
For now if you want to record on ssd, larger capacity media, burn field dvdroms and have slightly better ergonomics the 788t is still superior. But for everyone else this 6 series looks more attractive.

Rick Reineke September 6th, 2012 12:11 PM

Around $4k USD w/o the CL-6 expander. I see some 552s for sale on the horizon.

Allan Black September 7th, 2012 03:26 AM

12 mics on location!! you could buy this 664 with the CL-6 and build a studio around it.

Sennheiser will be happy, this is bound to sell a lot of new wireless kits.

Cheers.

D.J. Ammons September 8th, 2012 07:31 PM

B&H has it for $3999. Now if I just had four grand!

Allan Black September 8th, 2012 08:12 PM

Apart from the 4 biggies this 664 is not for the faint hearted, fully tricked out on location needs a brave op in good health.

Even just owning and listing it will encourage some jobs. The rental houses will jump and down and that's where I'd go to see if it suits.
You'd have to take it to the post house to d/load your recordings too.

But it will lead to more advances in planning, capturing and presenting audio for video.

Bravo!! and cheers to the guys at Sound Devices.

Cheers.

Brian P. Reynolds September 8th, 2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1752139)
Apart from the 4 biggies this 664 is not for the faint hearted, fully tricked out on location needs a brave op in good health.

Even just owning and listing it will encourage some jobs. The rental houses will jump and down and that's where I'd go to see if it suits.
You'd have to take it to the post house to d/load your recordings too.

But it will lead to more advances in planning, capturing and presenting audio for video.

Bravo!! and cheers to the guys at Sound Devices.

Cheers.

No need to d/load the recordings ........ just remove the card and hand it over to the client (+100% mark up)
I run a SD 442 mixer direct to the camera/s with a backup on a Marantz PMD 670 (with SD card adaptor**) and often I will hand over the card or transfer it to the producers laptop / USB stick and retain the card.

** The Marantz PMD 670 will only format up to 2GB cards, its now virtually impossible to find a CF card of that size so I use SD 2GB cards.
A SD > CF adaptor can be found on line for less than $20.