Audio montor options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Audio montor options?

Guys,

I have a Sony NEX7 and a Rode videomic PRO. It bothers me that I cannot at the very least have a headset output to check if the sound is peaking or if I´m getting too much wind noise. What can I do to overcome this? Would a beachtek DXA-2T or a Zoom h4n help with it? I mean, can I plug the Rode via minijack input into one of these devices and then have another mini jack connecting from the device to the camera feeding it the Rode sound? If this could be done it would be good because it would also give me option of renting a better mic with phantom power down the road.

cheers

Rafa
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio monitor options?

You have reached the fundamental problem with using 'stills' cameras for shooting video.... Poor audio facilities, even if you are using a beachtek for an input you might be able to monitor at that point but how do you know its actually getting to the camera?

And even if you get the audio into the camera successfully the audio quality will be marginal at best.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Audio montor options?

Ok, so other then getting a new camera what are my options here?
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Trustee

The typical solution is to use a separate sound recorder. Here is an article discussing most of the popular options: [Fstoppers Review] The Best Portable Audio Recorder For DSLR Video | Fstoppers

A new product made specifically to answer your question is the Foxtex DCR-302: DC-R302 | DSLR Mixer/Recorder | Fostex
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Major Player

If you had a Cannon 5D you could use 'Magic Lantern' Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki up grade to get the audio a bit better but I don't know if it would work with a Sony camera.
To get good audio you will need to record on a separate recorder and the sync the audio to the video in post production using a software program like 'Plural Eyes' or use a clapper board etc. The Zoom H4n is a base level starting point for a separate recorder for your needs.
If you don't want to go down that track make sure the cables you are using are in good condition and plugged in firmly and cross your fingers you have usable audio.

After a few shoots you will understand why professionals use cameras with good audio facilities or a split system with separate audio and larger crews with a dedicated sound recordist.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Trustee

I think that maybe the Zoom H4N would be the best option. It will allow me to feed the rode directly into the camera, it will give me separeta audio from the onboard mics, it will allow me to use phantom power mics and will let me use a heatset to see it it´s peaking or too windy.
What do you guys think?
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes, the H4n is probably the most popular choice for this application. Some people think there are other options that are technically better at around the same price.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Major Player

I noticed in a local camera store that you can get a 'stills' camera with interchangeable lenses to shoot HD 16:9 video for less than $500 (Nikon J1) I'm not up with the actually quality compared to others out there but what I'm saying is that with camera prices going down and quality rising it will attract new video shooters / producers into the market.... BUT the audio conundrum will always be there.

A couple of years ago I did a lot of commercial work as a location sound recordist for people with DSLR's but that has now dropped off and back to full video camera shoots with most of the DSLR guys going back to their core business of shooting stills.
For wedding productions etc the trend also has gone back to semi pro video cameras purely for the reason in simplicity of use on site and the less hassles in post production. They are tending to enjoy the creative process of video production rather than the technical side.

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; September 8th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
I noticed in a local camera store that you can get a 'stills' camera with interchangeable lenses to shoot HD 16:9 video for less than $500 (Nikon J1) I'm not up with the actually quality compared to others out there but what I'm saying is that with camera prices going down and quality rising it will attract new video shooters / producers into the market.... BUT the audio conundrum will always be there.

A couple of years ago I did a lot of commercial work as a location sound recordist for people with DSLR's but that has now dropped off and back to full video camera shoots with most of the DSLR guys going back to their core business of shooting stills.
For wedding productions etc the trend also has gone back to semi pro video cameras purely for the reason in simplicity of use on site and the less hassles in post production. They are tending to enjoy the creative process of video production rather than the technical side.
I´m not really sure how this is supposed to help my issue....

Last edited by Rafael Lopes; September 9th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
I´m not really sure how this is suppoed to help my issue....
It illustrates that people are discovering that recording audio requires at least a REAL camcorder, and not a DSLR. Very small cameras like DSLRs take nice pictures and (short) video clips, but even the best of them are quite poor at recording audio. And few (if any?) of those video-capable DSLRs (and point-n-shoot) cameras are capable of shooting long-form video.
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Trustee

I don´t really want to lead focus of the main thread point and get into this debate as I think you look at the industry you´re way off.
For the sake of the authors' needs lets just say I have an excellent camera that I use 90% for stills and that also has a very very good video mode and I need to optimize audio gathering for this camera.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
I don´t really want to lead focus of the main thread point and get into this debate as I think you look at the industry you´re way off.
For the sake of the authors' needs lets just say I have an excellent camera that I use 90% for stills and that also has a very very good video mode and I need to optimize audio gathering for this camera.
The fact remains that the preamps and other audio components in the camera itself are currently not of high enough quality to be used for recording production sound. The optimum solution - and the one generally employed in recording those commercials you see touting DSLRs as video cameras - is to use a separate recorder and associated audio gear - quality microphones, a good mixer, etc - slating each take and synching the resulting files in post production. Synching can be made easier by taking an output from the mixer or recorder and sending it to the camera to record a scratch track on the video file. This track is used to aid in synching in post and then replaced by the audio from the separate recorder. If you MUST go single system and record your production sound in camera, a dedicated professional-grade video camera with its better quality audio components is still the preferred solution over any DSLR currently on the market..
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Trustee

More or less made up my mind. Nex7 + Zoom H4N + NGT3 (or similar)
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
More or less made up my mind. Nex7 + Zoom H4N + NGT3 (or similar)
Then despite your protests, you appear to agree that you cannot expect to record good sound on any small camera, so you will use a separate sound recorder (the Zoom H4n, etc.)

And by "small camera" I include small consumer video camcorders (those with 3.5mm mic jacks, auto-level sound, typically no headphone monitor, etc.), and all DSLRs and all point-n-shoot digital still cameras, and hybrid cameras (between DSLR and P&S) like your NEX7 which is not reflex, but has exchangeable lenses.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Trustee

I never protested against that, as matter of fact I've always posted it as an option. What was absolutely out of the question was getting a dedicated video camera.

Last edited by Rafael Lopes; September 9th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio