DSLR and Zoom H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Tourist

DSLR and Zoom H1

I am looking to get rid of the audio noise in my T3i. I have a RODE videomic but that does not do the job. If I were to get the Zoom H1 and connected it to my T3i, would that help deplete the noise? Or would I have to record externally and sync the audio in post? Also, could I use this Zoom H1 as a boom mic? Or would it be best to plug my RODE videomic into it and continue using that as a boom mic and just use the Zoom H1 as a way of recording audio without a hiss?
Kyle Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR and Zoom H1

Its the camera preamps and the mic combination that are always the issue with DSLRs. Not sure what you are shooting, but this has been long a known problem. Jon Fairhurst has done some extensive testing using different set ups, and I urge you to see his posts on this issue. A lot of explanation comes with his three or four test films.

The mics on these small recorders are not decent enough to be used for high quality sound-- even on a boom. I have used the H1 as a simple recorder feeding from a powered mic like the Rode NTG-2 or Sennheiser ME66, and feeding the recorder through a good field mixer field mixer. IN this case I match the DSLR footage after the fact, using Plural Eyes. I have also used the Canon 5 D with Magic lantern to get a decent feed from my fiedl mixer directly to the 5D. Magic Lantern controls both digital and analogue gain in the Canon DSLRs, making it a better recording device, when fed with a decent field mixer that provide preamping.
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Tourist

I have heard about the Magic Lantern, but I hear about all of these risks involved? I want to do it, but don't want to screw anything up. Also, I hear something about you have to install it onto the SD card that goes into your camera. Wouldn't that mean that I could only use that one SD card then? These may be dumb questions, but I can never seem to get a clear answer.
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Kyle.

a quick search for Magic lantern will yield tons of threads regarding this.

it is a 'Hack' and should be treated with care, however many have used it successfully,

what does NOT change is that recording directly into the camera is NOT the best option as the mic preamps leave a lot to be desired. if you want the best sound you want to record to a separate recorder and sync the audio in post. This has also been heavily talked about here in the forum and search is your buddy on that too, lots of experienced folks have weighed in on this issue.

good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Tourist

Just got done doing that and found a lot of information and I am all set now. Thanks for your help guys.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

double post removed
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Tourist

I realize this isn't about audio, but someone mentioned magic lantern. I just tried putting it on my camera, followed the tutorial exactly as it said on YouTube and for some reason, I will go to update, and it will say loading, then go black and I have to take out the battery and turn the camera back on. Anyone know of this issue?
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Major Player

for those who still think magic lantern have risk. You have nothing to worry about.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio