Audio Options - Suggestions Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 25th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Options - Suggestions Please

Hey folks,

I am currently in the middle of editing a travel doc that I shot in Baja California. I'm doing voice overs and am wondering what might be my best option before I invest a lot of time in recording. This is just a self produced project so renting studio time is not in the budget. I have 3 options right now.

1) I have a USB Snowball mic from Blue Microphones. It seems to do an OK job with audio but not the best.

2) I have a Canon HF-S200 camcorder with a Canon DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone. I'm wondering if there is a way to use the microphone via the camcorder as an input device for recording directly to my editing suite. The other option would be to record the narration to memory cards but that's a bit of work to pull the card from the camera, plug it into the computer and import it into the editing suite after each take and then put it back into the camera again.

3) Lastly I have a Samson AirLine Micro Camera Wireless System that has an audio out from the docking station. It's a small lav mic so I'm not sure how good the quality would be using this as I've only ever recorded directly into the camera with it.

Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks a million in advance.

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Audio Options - Suggestions Please

I'd stick with the Snowball set to cardioid pattern and work on mic position and room acoustics to get the sound as best you can. The other two options you mention seem rather kludgy to me - camcorder audio is not the best to begin with and the less said about Samson the better.
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

+1 to what Steve said - one concern though would be noise from the system if you're close enough to use USB
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks both for your input. I'll start with the snowball then. It's not too bad it just seem to sound tinny to me. I'm guessing I can add some effects to it to baritone me up a bit. ;)
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Major Player

If the sound is thin, you might want to get closer to the mic and use a good pop filter. Many microphones have a bit of a proximity effect that emphasizes the lower frequencies.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio