Sennheiser EW100 G3 Lapel Mic Hiss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Sennheiser EW100 G3 Lapel Mic Hiss

I have a Sennheiser EW 100 G3 Lapel XLR Mic, that I primarily use for weddings. I typically clip the transmitter to the Grooms pants by his hip and run the mic up under his coat and attach the mic to the outside of the jacket. When the Groom is standing still I don't hear a hiss on the audio but every so often if the Groom moves his arm over the transmitter (not the mic) I get a hiss and it is very loud and you cannot hear the audio from the vows and so on.

Any ideas? I have the squelch at low.

Thanks!
Greg Thuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser EW100 G3 Lapel Mic Hiss

Greg, this happens to me from time to time with my G3 - the last time it happened was in St. Paul doing a wedding at St. Kate's!

I've never quite figured out what it is that causes the terrible audio hits (that my Sony system never does) but it seems to be an interference issue most of the time. I've found that scanning for clear frequencies at every new location helps a great deal, and so does isolating the delicate antennas on the Tx/Rx. Use new alkaline batteries every time. I also run the receiver on top of the camera because if I place it say behind the camera, I get interference from the HDMI cables hooked up to the monitor.

The G3s sound nice, but I'm not crazy about the robustness of their signal. If you need to not worry, rent a higher end system - otherwise, I'd say be careful with placement and always test beforehand.
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Thuente View Post
When the Groom is standing still I don't hear a hiss on the audio but every so often if the Groom moves his arm over the transmitter (not the mic) I get a hiss and it is very loud and you cannot hear the audio from the vows and so on.
That description sounds like a loss of signal which can happen with any wireless body pack system when the aerial (antenna) is contacted by skin or clothing martial, particularly in less humid conditions when material can build up an electrostatic charge. Try to arrange for the aerial (antenna) to be clear from all accidental contacts if possible. A clear line if sight from transmitter to receiver also helps as does keeping the distance between them as small as possible.

I must say I have found the Sennheiser systems very reliable in extensive use over the years, but it can depend on the local conditions.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
That description sounds like a loss of signal which can happen with any wireless body pack system when the aerial (antenna) is contacted by skin or clothing martial, particularly in less humid conditions when material can build up an electrostatic charge. Try to arrange for the aerial (antenna) to be clear from all accidental contacts if possible. A clear line if sight from transmitter to receiver also helps as does keeping the distance between them as small as possible.

I must say I have found the Sennheiser systems very reliable in extensive use over the years, but it can depend on the local conditions.
This is what I was about to say.

If the antenna touches the body you will get a signal attenuation of about 70dB.

Having the antenna just 1cm off the body will recover most of this.

Remove the clip from the transmitter and turn it over so that the antenna hangs down when the transmitter is clipped to the trousers (American translation = "pants" - pants means something totally different in English) - this helps keep the antenna off the body and should help stop the problem.

As a groom is likely to be nervous and may be sweating, the problem when the antenna touches, or gets close to, the body would be worse than with dry skin.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Or, take the groom's cell phone away.

I've had cell phones know wireless reception from 25 yards to a foot.

You can't always relay on the owner to keep it turned off.

That's why I suggest letting them know it's a problem and telling them you'll hold it for them.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio