Need to buy High Quality Headphones. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to buy High Quality Headphones.

Looking to buy high quality headphones for the Z1U. I want them to be really loud and clear because the Z1U does not get very loud so far with previous headphones I have been using. I have considered noise canceling. Also I would like it to be wireless if not to crappy. Bose has been recommended. Someone quoted me 400? I have that much to spend if its worth it.
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Sony 7506 for $99 anywhere.

Got my first pair a few years ago... replaced the pads recently and bought another pair to monitor what the sound guy is doing.

Total bargain at $99... for a dozen different reasons.

Check the archives or watch any BTS stuff on TV... 7506's are everywhere pros are.

If you just WANT to pop that budget then Ultrasone Pro.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
Sony 7506

Got my first pair a few years ago... replaced the pads recently and bought another pair to monitor what the sound guy is doing.
note wireless but looks like something I can go with.
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The Sony MDR-V6s are the consumer version of 7506 and almost exactly the same except for the sticker and gold-plating I believe. (I don't think the gold-plating is that useful; gold doesn't corrode, but makes some other metals corrode faster.; in any case, you can clean the connector of corrosion)

The V6s are slightly cheaper and discontinued. Try eBay, froogle. Not sure if this site's sponsors sell them (B&H, Zotz digital, EVS).

I don't think wireless and noise cancelling headphones give that good sound. No one in film/video uses them (as far as I know).

2- You can get a headphone amp if the signal is not loud enough.

If you want to block noise, there's some full-size headphones with lots of padding. I believe there's such a headphone with the 7506 drivers inside... I've seen them at Trew Audio in Toronto here (trewaudio.com).

You can also use in-ear headphones, which block sound kind of like earplugs. They block as much sound as noise-cancelling headphones, but sound much much better. Not sure if inserting the in-ear headphones would bug you.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I use Sony MDR-EX71SL.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

they're in-ear phones, and do block a lot of outside noise.
very good sound quality and plenty of bass too. You get 3 different sizes of rubber-fitting for different sized ears.
Try them out - only USD39 so if you don't like them you can just use them for an iPod or portable music player.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Major Player

I love my Etymotics.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio