Canon Mark III Audio recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon Mark III Audio recording

Hello all, i am Newbie ..... the newbie probably.....

I just got my Mark III, and knowing it records 2 audio channels on the video side..... i am wondering would it not be possible to record 2 separate audio units through the mini stereo jack using a Y cable???

Hope for some great news here....

thanks
thomas
Thomas Hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon Mark III Audio recording

The answer is YES ...... BUT be mindful the audio record facilities on DSLR cameras aren't that good.

The adaptor cable you need is sort of a 'Y' cord. The left input is L+ on the tip and L- is the sleeve of the 3.5mm connector and R+ goes to the ring and the R- also goes to the sleeve. Input of DSLR cameras are normally mic level, if you want to put line level in you will need to a 'PAD' to match the audio levels.

This should enable you to record 2 independent audio tracks to the camera. I have not tried it but there may be a 'linked' limiter or auto gain between the tracks which might give problems, but as I said I haven't tried it.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Major Player

You should also check out MagicLantern.fm - Home to help with audio levels.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Tourist

thank you both for your inputs. I have now tried the mini stereo to Y xlr, and so far so good. I dont mind riding the levels as i shoot, but of course it could get problematic if 2 mics is used where one person is speaking low and the other high, THAT would certainly create problems!
The thing is i desperately want to keep my simple setup (run and gun) as simple as possible, but YES the audio would lag for sure, if 2 mics are used! And well... what is video without good audio! Hmmm.

Donald, you comment Magic Lantern..... i have looked at it, then re-looked at it, and then re-re-looked at it!
It fulfills all my needs and more.... BUT i am nervous as h... about the multiple disclaimers about what it can do to my Mark III! So my question is obvious - what can i actually ruin on my Mark III and will it? But lately i have to admit - the pros outweighs the cons!

Another Question - I bought a sound devices PIX 240i, thinking it could works as an seperate audio recorder (when not "confined" to a tripod and more free), as well as an extremely good monitor..... but as we know it disengages the viewfinder of the DSLR when connected with the HDMI! The update coming from Canon in April, will fix that - but the ML already has that fixed in their new beta version........ So weather i do the ML now or wait for the Canon update, will i be able to use the PIX240 as an audio recorder WITH or without video?

it seems like i got too many questions, and i find it hard to ask them the right way!
I am a News Shooter primarily, adding DSLR to my portfolio, but probably trying too hard to make it smarter, by having multiple pieces do one job!

Hope to from you guys again, and i thank you for your kind time.

Thomas
Thomas Hass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio