Ty Ford to the rescue! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Ty Ford to the rescue!

Once again, "Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" came to the rescue! It was a simple question. So simple I won't go into it because it's embarrassing, but the answer was in the 'book'!

Thanks Mr. Ford.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Ty Ford to the rescue!

BTW if you haven't already, I highly recommend Ty's facebook group which is like a smaller more intimate version of this forum:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/audiobootcamp
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Tom! Yes, I "lurk" around Ty's FB page. He's always a wealth of knowledge. Doug Oade (Oade Bros.) is also a friend and a wonderful Audio Engineer.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Jim,

Thanks for the unsolicited thumbs up. I have suggested more than once that anyone who reads it, read it more than once. :) That goes pretty much for anything.

This stuff is like peeling an onion; lots of layers. You can't absorb it all in one try. It has to percolate and breed with reason and circumstance. All of us should be as comfortable with the discomfort of our own ignorance as we are with the fleeting joy of discovery. That's the way to get more experienced, more adept, better.

I'm working on a sequel about post production; how to think about what to do with the audio once you get it into the computer. It won't be application specific. Apps change too quickly and I don't care what color the knobs are.

I owe a great deal to the folks at B&H who read the book, saw something good in it and have sold more of them than I ever could ever have imagined. The Facebook Bootcamp page experiment has grown more than I expected and there is this; Ty Ford Audio and Video

Regards,

Ty

PS I'm still holding out for a plugin that will really remove the early and late reflections from mics that are too far away. Not an easy task. I've tried a couple of them the last few years; still not there yet.
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Ty...no problem. I just read your review on the AKG C 414 XLS/XL II. I own an impedance matched pair of the 'XLS' microphones. I purchased them for the exact reason you state in your review, the XLS' overall frequency response is a little flatter. I think this gives the 'XLS' more flexibility.

I now keep my copy of "The Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" in my sound bad, just in case. Heh, heh!

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio